2002 Sport Trac - transfer case & other issues - pricing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac - transfer case & other issues - pricing

peg645

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Hi, everyone -

Just joined to try to find out what is fair while selling my son's 2002 Sport Trac. A member of a forum for my Ford Freestyle and it has helped a great deal to talk w/ those who are familiar with your vehicle!

My son's truck is at my house out here in the country, but I only have Sundays off, he's in the city, so will be selling "as is" rather than try to get any repairs made. Truck was son's in college - then he remained in the city, ins. co. didn't want to cover it there, so we have it here to sell.

Truck does run - just had local mechanic who used to do inspections take a glance during one of my rare days off, and he thinks the only reason the truck wouldn't pass is 2 tires w/ insufficient tread.

The issues w/ this truck:

1) Does smell a bit when running - he suspects a valve cover.

2) Rarely used for 4WD, but the past few times my son tried, it was hard to get back out of 4WD. His Dad's buddy looked it over, and felt the transfer case needs repair/replacement.

3) Truck also seems to often turn on the ABS when braking for no good reason.

So, have it priced at bottom end of book value for its year and mileage in fair condition considering it needs work. Has a little rust, some interior wear, son had F/E damage with two bumper-to-bumper rear-ending accidents in school , but truck was driveable afterwards both times, and all repairs completed at reputable shop.

"Fair condition" assumes mechanical repairs needed, some body/rust issues, interior wear, tire wear. Has a clean title.

Just trying to be up front w/ prospective buyers, but not sure what these repairs would entail. Appreciate any observations, experiences so I have a knowledgeable basis for discussion. Apologize as I'm not as familiar w/ the Sport Trac as I am my Freestyle!

Thanks in advance. :)

Maybe to put things a little simpler. Sorry I sometimes go too much into detail.

If I heard the engine needed to be rebuilt, or the truck needed a new transmission, I know that would be major. I'm just not familiar with a transfer case, how serious that is, if it's something a hobbyist could resolve.

On my Freestyle, it needed a DEM module 2 years ago. I was out of work, dealer quoted me $3500. Searched that forum, found how it could be done w/ a used part, found a repair facility who could do the work, and it was fixed for $1200.

I don't plan on taking care of it, but am trying to see how big of an issue it would be to a prospective buyer.

Also the ABS and the valve cover. Mechanic said that the latter isn't that difficult, just timely.

Thanks.

I just bought a beautiful, fully loaded, dent and rust free, flawless leather interior, 2001 4x4 Sport Trac with a bad motor for $1,100

I bought another 2001 rust and dent free 2 wheel drive with worn cloth interior last year that ran and drove but had a bad timing chain rattle for $900

It sounds to me that the one you have runs and drives, needs a tune up and fluids changed, has dents front and rear, needs 2 tires, and has rust.

For me personally I would not buy one in that condition.

I think $1,500 would be the upper end of a fair price for that truck.

YMMV

Back