• Register Today It's free!

2002 sport trac wont start

01Strac

Reaction score
City, State
Bainbridge Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
just got a 2002 sport trac guy said sometimes it will not start it turns over but wont start then u can wait a few hours and try again it will start right up anybody ever have this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel pump? First things to check are fuel pressure and for spark.

Can you hear the fuel pump prime for about 2 seconds every time you turn the key from off to on? I've had to replace the fuel pumps on every one of my Explorers, Mountaineers and my Sport Trac at between 175K and 200K. Nearly every one displayed intermittent starting problems.

Maybe the PCM or fuel pump relays might be going. Do you see a check engine light when you turn the key or hear the pump prime as previously suggested? Check for corrosion on the ground wiring where it meets the body.

Maybe the PCM or fuel pump relays might be going. Do you see a check engine light when you turn the key or hear the pump prime as previously suggested? Check for corrosion on the ground wiring where it meets the body.

It never hurts to check other possibilities, but come on, a fuel pump with 250,000 miles on it is worn out.

@BrooklynBay

Actually, my error. I responded to two similar threads today and got mixed up. IDK how may miles this 2002 ST has on it. The 250K was on a '99 Explorer.

I've got an 02 Sport Trac as well, was having this issue on cold mornings/nights about 2 years ago. Got worse and worse, and I got tired of paying a shop to try to figure it out. I could hear the fuel pump running, but it would take 2+ minutes to get it started and the battery would run down trying to get it to start.

It's been parked for most of the last 2 years, but I would start it monthly and let it idle for 30 minutes or so, and changed the oil last year.

Last time I got it to start was January 2020, and since then it just turns over but never catches.

MAF sensor was replaced by the shop 2 years ago, they said it was throwing a code for that. No codes now since battery completely died.

Today I cleaned the throttle body (it was pretty nasty) in the hopes maybe it wasn't getting enough air. Still no luck, just cranks endlessly and never "catches"

Tried spraying some starter fluid in the intake, and it actually started.... for 3 seconds. Then the same old crap!

I'm open to any suggestions, but don't want to spend more than $100 or $200 at most, since registration is expired 2 years (in CA that means about $1,000 or more in back fees.

If I can't figure out how to get it running by the end of the month, it's getting scrapped (sucks, I really liked this truck!)

I've got an 02 Sport Trac as well, was having this issue on cold mornings/nights about 2 years ago. Got worse and worse, and I got tired of paying a shop to try to figure it out. I could hear the fuel pump running, but it would take 2+ minutes to get it started and the battery would run down trying to get it to start.

It's been parked for most of the last 2 years, but I would start it monthly and let it idle for 30 minutes or so, and changed the oil last year.

Last time I got it to start was January 2020, and since then it just turns over but never catches.

MAF sensor was replaced by the shop 2 years ago, they said it was throwing a code for that. No codes now since battery completely died.

Today I cleaned the throttle body (it was pretty nasty) in the hopes maybe it wasn't getting enough air. Still no luck, just cranks endlessly and never "catches"

Tried spraying some starter fluid in the intake, and it actually started.... for 3 seconds. Then the same old crap!

I'm open to any suggestions, but don't want to spend more than $100 or $200 at most, since registration is expired 2 years (in CA that means about $1,000 or more in back fees.

If I can't figure out how to get it running by the end of the month, it's getting scrapped (sucks, I really liked this truck!)

If it fired on starting fluid then your problem is fuel related (as in no fuel to the engine). Period. I would install a new fuel pump, just because you hear it run doesn't mean it's moving fuel. In my experience the original fuel pumps are good for 175-200K on average. I've had to replace the fuel pump in every Explorer/Mountaineer and Sport Trac I've owned. The usually begin by giving you intermittent starting issues during cool weather.

If it fired on starting fluid then your problem is fuel related (as in no fuel to the engine). Period. I would install a new fuel pump, just because you hear it run doesn't mean it's moving fuel. In my experience the original fuel pumps are good for 175-200K on average. I've had to replace the fuel pump in every Explorer/Mountaineer and Sport Trac I've owned. The usually begin by giving you intermittent starting issues during cool weather.
thanks, its got 175,000 miles, lol

thanks, its got 175,000 miles, lol

Odds are very good your fuel pump is shot. If you want to know for sure, do a key-on fuel pressure test with a gauge at the fuel rail. You should be seeing around 65 PSI of pressure. It's pretty obvious to me you not going to see the require fuel pressure. What genius mechanic told you your problem was your MAF? If it were me I'd replace the fuel pump w/out further diagnostics required.

Been there...done that.... Replace the PUMP

Been there...done that.... Replace the PUMP

Yeah, I've been there... done that... 6 times (actually had to replace one twice, so 7 times)

Odds are very good your fuel pump is shot. If you want to know for sure, do a key-on fuel pressure test with a gauge at the fuel rail. You should be seeing around 65 PSI of pressure. It's pretty obvious to me you not going to see the require fuel pressure. What genius mechanic told you your problem was your MAF? If it were me I'd replace the fuel pump w/out further diagnostics required.
MAF was replaced because the code reader said it was bad.

Anyway, borrowed a pressure test gauge but can't find the Schrader valve on my 02 explorer...(everything I've read says 2002 model should have the test valve)

can anyone point it out to me? the fuel rails are the silver tubes in the pics, right?

Attachments

• 20200418_130506.jpg
    20200418_130506.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200418_130348.jpg
    20200418_130348.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 99

Look at the very rear of the passenger side fuel rail. There should be a plastic cap you remove. Mine is blue. If you enlarge this pic you can see it...
WGZmWPn.jpg

Look at the very rear of the passenger side fuel rail. There should be a plastic cap you remove. Mine is blue. If you enlarge this pic you can see it...
View attachment 314958
found it!!! thank you so much!
what a jacked up place to put it, right behind that wiring harness, in a 3 inch gap between back end of rail and firewall, by the tip of my finger...

Attachments

• 15872470322982494082894578707103.jpg
    15872470322982494082894578707103.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 84

Did you check to make sure the inertia switch is not triggered..
Mine trips occasionally and will just crank

Did you check to make sure the inertia switch is not triggered..
Mine trips occasionally and will just crank

If the inertia switch was tripped and not reset you would not have an intermittent starting situation, which is what
@kenneth.b had stated he's been chasing for multiple years. Even if there is another issue (I seriously doubt that there is) at 175K he's do for a new fuel pump.

Have you tried the fuel reset switch? Passenger side floor board on the fire wall. Mine shuts off randomly still trying to find the problem lol. But I hit that switch and it starts right up

Read post above
If the pump primes it’s not the fuse, relay, or inertia switxh

This 02 trac simply has weak fuel pressure from a worn fuel pump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read post above
If the pump primes it’s not the fuse, relay, or inertia switxh

This 02 trac simply has weak fuel pressure from a worn fuel pump
So on my truck My pump primes so not my inertia switch good to know thanks..really thinking my problem is a crash sensor

Back