• Register Today It's free!

2002 trans problem

NJoffroader

Reaction score
City, State
Howell, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport
My girlfriend recently purchased a really clean 02 XLT from a used car dealership about a month ago. The truck has ran great and even passed NJ inspection 2 days ago. The truck has 120k on it and the other day when I was in it with her, she was backing up into a parking spot and the truck seemed to have a slight studder or slip while reversing. She just called me this morning and said that when she was leaving for work this morning she backed out of her parking spot and put the truck in drive but it wouldn't go anywhere. She had to put the truck in neutral and push it back into the parking spot. I haven't had time to look at the truck yet. But it definitely sounds like a trans issue. Anyone have similar problems?

First step is checking the transmission fluid level. These transmissions are very touchy to fill level and will act like that if it gets low. It would not hurt to flush the fluid and replace the filter at that mileage, either.

Did she get a warranty with the dealership?

It does sound like a trans issue. If it's 4x4, try putting it into low and see if it moves. If so, put it back into 4x4 auto and you should be good.

Back