2002 V6 Explorer Coolant Hose Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 V6 Explorer Coolant Hose Question

Oldwolf

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT, 4x4, 4.0 SOHC
There is a coolant hose, maybe 1" in diameter, that goes from the bottom of the overflow reservoir to down underneath the the radiator on the same side. From there it connects to a metal tube were it crosses along the bottom of the radiator back into another hose that then connects into the radiator (somewhere).

The power steering pump pulley has ground a notch into this hose causing a leak.

The problem is I cannot find a references to it in any of the online parts stores. Even a Ford parts website doesn't show this hose.

Can anyone tell me what this hose is called and where I can get one?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say your best bet might be to yank it off and take it the the parts store and have them match it up. They might just have you go in the back with them.

The '03 repair manual calls it the lower degas bottle hose part number 8262. Probably same/similar for the '02s. I think wrencher has the right idea to make sure you get the right hose.

I've had to do the same thing for 2000 E-250's cause some engineer decided to make an all in one radiator/heat core/ something else hose that would have cost the customer $100+ for a little slit in the lower radiator hose. Walked in found something similar, modified a hair, and installed no problem.

Well...I'll call my Ford dealer today to see if they have it in stock. If it is too expensive I'll take the old hose off as recommended and go to Autozone to see if they have some heater hose that will work.

I also had to replace mine, I ended up paying something like $65 for the hose and no one else I could find carried it. I am not sure if you found it but the dealer had to order it also, I'll look at the reciept and get you a part number when I get home.

I'm going to tkae the cheapest route possible. I'm going to cut out the bad section on my hose and insert a 3/4" PVC section to prevent future problems. Its sounds ghetto, but I don't plan on keeping this thing much longer.

I found that NAPA has 1" heater hose. Most of the other car parts places don't carry heater hose that large. Anyway, it was easy to replace. I suggest buying 4 feet of it. It was around $7.

After replacing the hose, I would try to "re-engineer" it to protect it. You could wrap it in plastic wire loom (Gen 1 Explorers have this on some hoses), and/or see if there's a way to clamp the hose to something to keep it away from the power steering pump that was rubbing it and causing the leak.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Back