2002 V8 Explorer heavy duty towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 V8 Explorer heavy duty towing

boss429kiwi

Reaction score
City, State
New Zealand
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer V8 LTD
Hi (from New Zealand)

I own a 2002 V8 explorer limited and I have plans towing my enclosed car trailer and expensive payload to a car show (approx 300 mile each way).
The total load will be approx 3300kg (7300lb) including passangers etc.

I have electric brakes, 3500kg (7700lb) factory Ford tow hitch and 3.73 gears. I may be able to get my hands on a set of load levelers also. I will also be taking it to Ford to see what trans cooler I have and get their opinion on cooling.

So theoretically I have met Fords recommendations, but some people look at me side ways when I tell them what I am doing.

What are your thoughts. Has anyone here towed a similar weight. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

7300lb is a bit of weight, but I think it can do it. Do you have a lot of long grades to climb?

I think I have the same exact vehicle with tow package etc. I tow a horse trailer (2800lbs) with two horses (2400lbs) without a problem. I don't know that I'd want to tow much more though with this vehicle. It sounds like you have another 2000lbs+ than I do. I guess if you take it very slow and easy it is do-able but that's just an opinion without real experience with that kind of weight talking.

I think I have the same exact vehicle with tow package etc. I tow a horse trailer (2800lbs) with two horses (2400lbs) without a problem. I don't know that I'd want to tow much more though with this vehicle. It sounds like you have another 2000lbs+ than I do. I guess if you take it very slow and easy it is do-able but that's just an opinion without real experience with that kind of weight talking.

Hi
Sounds like a similar truck, as I also have 20" alloys with 305/45/20.

Thanks
Gary

I would suggest a brake controller as well.

You ARE pushing the limits though, idk if I'd trust it at 300mi each way.

Oh hell yes...definitely electric brakes AND brake controller. Crazy to do it without!

Back