2002 XLS Question

chazglenn3

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma , WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Newbie question...

I am considering a used 2002 XLS that is in another state. The owner says it has the third row seat, and the dealers say the third row seat isn't available in the XLS. So, I ran the VIN and found out that it is a former fleet vehicle. So, I went to the Ford Fleet website and found that special orders are possible. Thus my question is, has anyone here ever seen a 2002 or newer Explorer XLS model with the 3rd row seating? Great web site, by the way!

Charles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be very leary of buying a fleet vehicle. People have a tendancy to not take care of vehicles that they don't pay for. Fleet isn't as bad as rental, but there are millions of Explorers out there. Unless it was a super, super deal, I'd pass on it.

Thanks for the reply. I think it's a super good deal...90,000 miles and $8,200 for it.

That's not a bad deal, but there is a probably a reason for it. At the very least I'd take it to a dealer and make sure everything checks out ok. If 4x4 I'd make sure it works as it should. I'd check all the fluids for proper color.

Thanks again! I'll check the oil and brake fluids, but the tranny is sealed from the factory as I understand it. What is the best way to check the 4X4? I will be on dry ground so the best I can think of is to put it in 4 high and make sure it engages.

Charles

If you turn in high on hard surfaces the t case, and u joints will pop and bind, as you probably know. You should be able to hear it engauge. I'd select low also, and make sure it shifts into it. Just go in a straight line. Is this from a dealer?

No, it is a private party purchase. I sold my 1999 Expedition as the family needs changed (2 oldest kids moved out) and bought the wife a Lexus LS400. Now she says she wants another SUV, so I decided to get a V6 Explorer. Hopefully the truck is in good shape. I work for an airline, so if it isn't the one to buy, I won't be out anything but some time. :)

Charles

I know that mine doesn't have a 3rd row seating.. When talking to the dealer he also confirmed that the XLS doesn't have a 3rd row.. In order to get 3rd row it has to be atleast a XLT..

One could have been easily added in. The dealers can install any factory options that the car didn't come with. It's just that the the Ford factory wanted people to have to choose the more expencive XLT if they wanted the third row.

Back