2002 XLT 4x4 Has Noise When Cornering... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT 4x4 Has Noise When Cornering...

CobraGT40

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hey all...Just bought a 2002 Expy XLT 4x4 V-8 yesterday... excellent shape, runs great, shifts great, no leaks, everything works...
However, I noticed that sometimes there's a bit of grumbling when taking off from a stop while making a left turn....kinda like it's stuck in 4x4, or possibly a CV joint ? All the boots are in great shape and no rips etc...

What do ya' think ?

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all...Just bought a 2002 Expy XLT 4x4 V-8 yesterday... excellent shape, runs great, shifts great, no leaks, everything works...
However, I noticed that sometimes there's a bit of grumbling when taking off from a stop while making a left turn....kinda like it's stuck in 4x4, or possibly a CV joint ? All the boots are in great shape and no rips etc...

What do ya' think ?

Scott

Anyone have any ideas what I might be dealing with here ? I'm kinda parnoid to drive it now, after doing some research...

if its a 2002, most likely the rear chatter. flush the rear end, and add the friction modifier.

Does your Explorer have Limited Slip differential? I have had similar issues with my Explorer since I purchased it used in 2007. Your issues may be different. Mine had bad left front wheel bearing and clutch pack issues. There is a really good sticky on how to check and replace wheel bearings. I suggest you take a look at that. The wheel bearing wasn't the main cause of my problem.

The other issue I have is with the clutch packs in my 3.73 LSD rear end. If you have Limited Slip (traction-loc as Ford calls it) it could be lack of friction modifier in the rear end. Assuming you have Limited slip the easiest thing to do is change the rear diff fluid, add a tube of posi trac additive and then make a bunch of tight right hand turns and left hand turns in a parking lot! It is possible that the clutches have no lube between them even though you have fluid in your differential! Ford issued TSB 05-23-3 which changes the rear-end fluid from 75W90 to 75W140. If you change differential fluid you will want to use the 75W140.

If that doesn't resolve the problem then the clutch packs might need to be replaced. The ford racing clutch packs are the same as the ford OEM, but cost much less. Ford racing part is M-4700-B. See TBS 06-4-4 for more details on the binding you describe. It can also be caused by rear wheel speed sensor issues, but that is probably less likely.

My rear end has the pinion gear noise and I have not addressed the binding on left turns yet. Let us know if you have limited slip and if you fix it what actually fixed the problem.

as far as i know all 2002 are LS rears.

Check the axle code on the drivers door if it says D4 then you have 3.73LS, if it says 45 you have a 3.55 open diff.

If I where you I would change all the fluids - front and rear diff, transfer case, oil, brake, power steering and the PITA transmission. That may take care of your problem and help prevent future ones.

At the very least change the rear diff and transfer case as those are not hard to do and get a lot of use and most don't bother with them until they break. As a bonus changing them may just fix your problem.

When you change the rear diff use a good synthetic fluid 75w-140 (I use mobile 1) if you have axle code D4 add some LS friction modifier, the fluid may already have it in it (like mobile1) but adding some wont hurt it will only help.

I agree that this is more than likely your problem!!! I had on 02 Limited that i just dealt with the noise and chatter for over a year before i found out that i could try changing the fluid as ford had told me the only thing they could do was rebuild the LS. I however changed the fluid with a full synthetic LS MOBIL1 75w-140 instead of the 75w-90 and it more or less fixed the problem!! Probably could have used some more of the friction modifier and i never thought of doing a bunch of tight turns to get the oil in there i bet that would have helped alot!!

dont forget to add the friction modifer. i think the motorcraft part is xl-3

and it STINKS!

Thanks for the advice guys...
The axle code is D4 so it's the LS. I was reading in a similar thread to remove the #17 and #18 fuses from the fuse block near the battery. I did that and it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore...However, I just drove it a couple miles to work so I don't know if it took care of the problem all together. Another thing I noticed as I was driving it yesterday (put about 60 miles highway and in town) was that after driving 25 miles , then slow driving in town it seemed to have a thuk-thuk-thik-thuk noise coming from ...well, somewhere underneath....maybe from midship somewhere. It just did it the one time and stopped after I came to a stop and started out again... when the fuses were in place, it just feels like it's halfway stuck in 4x4, if that makes sense ?

This seems similar to a problem I just fixed on my '03 V8. When it turns and on the gas it shuddered, and felt like the limited slip was not slipping right. I replaced my rear diff fluid and added friction modifier. Shudder is now gone and she rides nice and smooth. I recommend that like all the other guys are saying. Probably the problem.

I'm gonna give that a shot...I'm gonna swing by my mech tomorrow and get the fluids changed. (front/rear diff and t-case...should I bother with trans ?)

Hey all
Just got beack from my mech... I explained the symptoms and he's sure it has to do with the ABS sensors. I started explaing what it does going into a corner from a stop and he finished my sentence by telling me the rest of the symptoms. He said he's done quite a few 3rd Gen Expys with the exact same problem.
With the #17 & #18 fuses removed it no longer makes any of the noises. I'm going to drop it off next week and have him wrench on it.

Anyone have anything else to add ? Are these Expys 4x4 systems that sensative ?

Hey all
Just got beack from my mech... I explained the symptoms and he's sure it has to do with the ABS sensors. I started explaing what it does going into a corner from a stop and he finished my sentence by telling me the rest of the symptoms. He said he's done quite a few 3rd Gen Expys with the exact same problem.
With the #17 & #18 fuses removed it no longer makes any of the noises. I'm going to drop it off next week and have him wrench on it.

Anyone have anything else to add ? Are these Expys 4x4 systems that sensative ?
Please report back with the parts replaced when mech is done next week. Very interested in the outcome.

Thanks

My 03 has the same issue. Almost like the sensor is trying to slow the left rear wheel down until the vehicle gets moving. I had my differential fluid changed and the sensor replaced last year and that seemed to help though it never really stopped and now my ABS light is popping on again. I am going to try to remove the 17 and 18 fuses as see how that works.

Thanks!

Wheel bearing. Your descriptive is classic wheel bearing failure. I cannot say that is it, for sure, but I'd bet next week's paycheck, that's the problem.

Well I'm back in the explorer market looking at an 02 with the same concerns that yours has I contribute it to the LSD additive tho I haven't heard of the fuse issue you mentioned??? please do tell more... Would this be more of a shudder from the transfer case as apposed to the rear diff???

Back