2002 xlt 4x4 not working need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 xlt 4x4 not working need help

ballplyr6

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
Hi I have a 2002 xlt awd explorer that we bought used. I just went out in the snow in the mountains to go hunting and almost got stuck realized the 4x4 doesnt work. The explorer will engage into 4lo and the light stays on where the button doesnt blink. In 4hi it shows up on the dash but the front wheels wont spin. when i press the buttons i can hear a click at the same time the button stays constant. when i change into 4hi from 4lo it will click then when the 4hi stays lit on the dash it clicks again. sorry if im double posting all i have seen is issues with button flashing and stuff and mine isnt doing that. I am going to check i think it was fuse 15 and fuse 16 and 17 in engine bay when gf brings back explorer. thank you in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the status of the fuses?

What happens when you leave it in Auto?

checked fuses 17,18 under the hood and 12,15,29 under driver side and all good.

When its in auto front wheels wont spin either. front wheels wont spin in 4l 4hi or 4auto. im pretty sure module works cause it clicks one time when light stays on when i put it in 4lo then when i change it into 4hi it will click then click when 4hi comes on dash. Any help is appreciated

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

When I bought my Ex the 4x4 didn't work. I replaced the module and that didn't fix the issue.

It turned out to be a bad ground on the transfer case. Worth a look.

Good luck getting it sorted. :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Back