• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT a/c quit working

projectPONY

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello all, I'm wondering if you guys can point me in the right direction concerning the a/c sys. in my '02 Expy. Is there some kind of tutorial or write up on this site where I can find some info as to where to start diagnosing my a/c sys.? Or can someone help diagnose my problem?

A/c has been working properly until a couple of months ago when I noticed that it would NOT blow cold in stop and go traffic and at long idling periods. As long as I was moving it blew cold. About a week ago I noticed it began to just blow cool all the time, not cold. I had to keep the fan speed at its highest level just to feel the difference. The last time it blew cool I had the fan speed on high the entire drive home, about 45mins, from work and it never got comfortable in the vehicle. The next morning as I leave for work I turn it on and all it blew was warm air. It never got cool much less cold. I'm lost when it comes to this sys. and all I've been able to establish is that the compressor is not starting when I turn the sys. on. Can anyone help or walk me through what I can do before I take this thing to a shop and drop hundreds of dollars?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you have a freon leak. Once enough leaks out, the compressor won't turn on.

Advice: Have a shop check your system. If you're low on freon, they will probably recommend filling it up, and adding a flourescent dye which will pinpoint the leak.

Do not put any leak stop gunk in the system. They are a temporary fix at best, and can and do lead to complete system failure.

What you can do right now is purchase one of those "instant cold" freon charge cans. Get one with a gage on it. Hook it up to the low pressure port and check for a pressure. Most of those gages have colored zones on them. This is a quick check and a quick, temporary fix.

Thanks for the response.

What is a ballpark price on having a shop check it out for me?

I have the same problem with mine but not only did the AC stop working the air fan also quit about a week ago if any one can help thanks

Thanks for the response.

What is a ballpark price on having a shop check it out for me?

Sorry, I do most of my own work. Just give a couple of shops a call, including a Ford dealer. They'll tell ya.

Back