Solved - 2002 Xterra Power Steering Pressure hose replacement fun | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 2002 Xterra Power Steering Pressure hose replacement fun

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I figured I'd post this here in case anyone else needs to do this...

My brother has a 2002 Nissan Xterra with the 3.3 liter SOHC (non supercharged) and the power steering pressure hose was leaking. Turns out the rubber was bad, right off the crimp, by the pump.

This "should" have been a simple job but we ran into a few issues....

First, The power steering pressure hose assembly that you can buy is slightly different than stock. The Power steering pressure switch goes higher on the line instead of right at the banjo bolt.. Also, the fitting is a female fitting (on the hose) like the original BUT it basically goes right into the hose. The problem is, the power steering pressure switch has to extend into the hose a good 1/2" which it can't do on the new hose...

I did a bunch of digging and found that by 2004 they change the "style" of the power steering pressure switch. So, we picked up the expensive pressure switch and it went right onto the hose.

The next issue was the electrical connector on the old pressure switch and new pressure switch aren't the same style...

After lots more digging, I found that the Standard Products HP3860 connector fits the sensor. Once that shows up we will cut the wires off the old connector, solder on the new connector and then we will have the pressure switch back on the system.

He's been driving it for the last week without the pressure switch and it's doing just fine but since it had it to being with we figure we should put it back on...

The Power steering hose assembly we got was a MasterPro p/n 92313 BUT it looks identical to the Dorman 979-5903

The Power steering pressure switch is a PS612 (wells) - The computer even said this was the right switch for the 2002 but we already know the electrical connector is wrong..

The electrical connector that fits the newer/style power steering pressure switch is a HP3860 from Standard motor products.

If we would have known all this up front it would have saved a few trips to the store...

BTW, the power steering hose is "around" $90 and the Pressure switch is "around" $60. We got the electrical connector from Amazon for $7 (http://smile.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-HP3860-Temperature/dp/B00HSICAG4)

Again, I hope this helps someone who is trying to change the power steering pressure hose on a 1st generation Nissan Xterra (2000-2004).

~Mark

Back