2003 4.0 to 4.6 motor swap. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 4.0 to 4.6 motor swap.

Hoyt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I have a 2003 Explorer with a 4.0 and it has 148k on it. How hard would it be to swap to the 4.6, or what would be the best and easiest V* swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've researched in the past on doing an 03 cobra motor swap into an 03 4.0 all I would need is a computer and wiring harness from a 4.6 explorer. I was told the motor mounts were the same as well as the tranny mount. It would drop right in. Don't quote me, but if i remember correctly that's what i was told. Do some searching, the info's on here.

4.6L 3V swap?

Hey all,
I've used the search function and haven't found the answer I want. So I think I don't want to mess around with my V6 if it goes. I have the 5R55S, so the 4.6L 3V should bolt up to my 5-spd auto.

Questions:
Would I just need a new computer? Or do I need a few other things?

Jeez Nate, you dont do things by halves mate! I'm going to watch this thread with interest. I'd think thats all you'd need for a swap, but I know nothing. Great if you could score a low milage V8.

Found one with transmission for $750. Just sell the transmission and make a few bucks back.

Ohh sick, looks like you've got an awesome project for 2011. Should be sweet as.

I may look for something better or just wait till the 4.0L dies. I can hear the timing chain dragging on cold mornings. Now I honestly don't care as long as I can cram a V8 in there. My only concern is there's no recorded mileage and it was used in a police Ex. I'm hoping for an engine that has about 70K miles or less. The Ex has 67K miles as of now (yeah I do a lot of driving in 5 months [60K miles at July]).

I kind of think the title of this thread should be changed, 'cause a moderator threw my post in here and I don't have an 03, and the 03 and 05 are slightly different. Something like 4.0L to 4.6L Engine Swap

If you start a new one we can through a few posts in to get the ball rolling, then hopefully someone who's done it can help out with the details, pros cons etc?

..., 'cause a moderator threw my post in here and I don't have an 03, and the 03 and 05 are slightly different. Something like 4.0L to 4.6L used Engines Swap

Ha...ha...moderators are good at throwing :D but that's their legit responsibility. Let's hope for the pros to chime in.

Back