2003 4.0 Transmission? Torque Converter? Module? Problems! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 4.0 Transmission? Torque Converter? Module? Problems!

4FordFamily

Been there done that
Reaction score
City, State
Fishers, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Sport, 08, other ford
2003 4.0L XLT 4x4 - 104k miles

Short version:
Started off shuddering under hard acceleration, but doesn't appear to be slipping.. sometimes it shifts fine.
When it does shift under low acceleration, or even under high it's not jolty and it always shifts at the right point.
Slight faint high pitched whine when put in to drive from park for 1 second each time I put it in to gear happened 2 weeks later
Today, put it in to reverse from park, nothing. Put it in to neutral, then reverse, Nothing. Put it in to drive, felt it... put it in to reverse, worked fine. Now it works fine.
NO O/D light or check engine light.
(details below)

So this all began when I hit acceleration somewhat hard, or floored it, in-between gears it doesn't really feel like a slip but it slightly vibrates you can barely feel it... it shifts at the necessary points before redline, and shifts A1 if you don't accelerate hard.. (smooth and on time)... It seems to be getting worse over time. I don't beat the truck very much honestly, it's driven a lot though and sometimes under hard acceleration it will act funny.

last week or so it started making a high pitched faint whine when put in to drive from park...

Fast forward to today, I was waiting for my friend's son to come out of class, and I had been sitting for 30 minutes with the car running. I put it in to gear, nothing. It was stuck in park. I tried 3 times: Once to reverse... nothing. neutral, then to reverse, nothing. Then tried drive (felt it engage, a bit jolty but it always has been and so was my 1995 X, and every other SUV/Truck I've driven).

Anyway, so it went in to reverse fine after that, I put it in to drive, then back in to reverse... no problem. Drove home... tried flooring it 3 times (I figure if it's going it's going I'd rather anticipate it than be stranded) First time it did the typical odd feeling between shift especially 1st to 2nd... I don't know if it does it past that because I dont accelerate hard for long when I do.

Second, Third time... seemed A1 perfect under hard acceleration.

What the heck is going on? Torque converter? On my 1995 X, a module went bad that controlled my transmission around the same mileage, then the tranny went out at 150k. Is my transmission on it's way out?

I absolutely cannot afford to put a transmission in this truck, My 1995 nearly killed me financially when the fuel pump, rear end, and a few other things went bad within a 2 week period. So I sold it and bought a newer truck in hopes it would go at least a year without serious repeairs.. now 3 months later I've replaced an alternator, and I have a noise from the front suspension that clicks when turning, but not when driving over 20mph... only when stationary.

This "non-serviceable" transmission, and this breaking down @ 100k crap has me almost fed up with ford and I LOVE ford... I've owned 10 ford trucks and a taurus.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody?

bump!!!

well.. i guess i'll just find out the hard way. Thanks anyway I'll be sure to post to all of you waht the problem is so when someone does a forum search (as I did for hours) so there will be an answer. Anybody who knows feel free to chime in any input.

The 5R55W has known issues with the solenoid block going bad around 60K miles, servo bores wearing down, and bands breaking. It sounds like your solenoid block is beginning to fail. You could get a new one from WWW.800700Tran.Com.

The 5R55W has known issues with the solenoid block going bad around 60K miles, servo bores wearing down, and bands breaking. It sounds like your solenoid block is beginning to fail. You could get a new one from WWW.800700Tran.Com.

thank you, I appreciate your input. I will look in to that :)

UPDATE: Bands needed adjusted, and the valve body needed work, something was busted in it... a remanufactured valve body is 400, I paid 150 for this ordeal because all i needed was a part.

No big deal, got lucky.

105k and odometer still rolling...

UPDATE: Was valve body gasket I believe

On the clicking thing; check your sway bar links, I had a strange jingle/click noise from mine when in the neighborhood, turned out my bushings were gone, not worn out, just disappeared/disintegrated :scratch:

edit - idk might be different for 3rd gen.

On the clicking thing; check your sway bar links, I had a strange jingle/click noise from mine when in the neighborhood, turned out my bushings were gone, not worn out, just disappeared/disintegrated :scratch:

edit - idk might be different for 3rd gen.

will look in to that, thanks!!

No reverse. Slipping bad in first gear.

I have the exact same symtoms as Expo's truck. Where can I find parts to do all of this?

So I finally got around to taking the valve body off with intention of installing new gaskets. Gaskets are fine but there are pieces of a brass washer maybe an inch around in there. Was laying on the gasket/valve body when I removed it. I guess thats not good huh? What am I looking at now for repairs?
Thanks in advance.

Huh! It worked! I can do this computer thing after all! I haven't moved the smaller pieces from where they were when I pulled the VB off. I only picked up the big piece. The tranny shop I went to in our city said $2000 worse case scenario for a overhaul. I don't have time, facilities or the know how to tackle and overhaul right now. Thanks for looking.

Can anyone tell me if the 2003 explorer auto v6 and auto v8 have the same bolt pattern?

Back