• Register Today It's free!

2003 4.0L Cam Timing

oldmanina2003

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited
Newbie here, so I am getting ready to pull the engine and do a top end rebuild. I have see lots of info on using the cam timing kit to set the cams but the kits are all for 1997 to 2002. What about later models. Am I missing something here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

harmonic balancer?

Interesting, and something I haven't noticed until you pointed it out. The only thing I can think of is a change to the harmonic balancer for the 3rd generation. Maybe the crankshaft holder won't work with the balancer. I'll look at my 2005 Mustang SOHC V6 assembly instructions and see if there appears to be anything different. By the way, if you want a copy of the assembly instructions just PM me your email address.

Edit: I checked the assembly instructions and the timing tools for the Mustang look the same as those included in the OCT 6488 tool kit.

Edit 2: This kit is advertised for 1997 thru 2004: 1997 - 2004 Ford Ford Explorer / Mercury Mountaineer 4.0L SOHC V-6 Cam Tool Service Kit

Edit 3: And this kit is thru 2011 which I think is correct: OTC Tools 6488

Thanks

I was pretty sre that ehat yo said was the case. I am going to order the kit and follow the instrctions. I can't affort to mess this up.

OTC 6488 instructions

As I recall the instructions supplied with the OTC 6488 do not explain how to time the camshafts. At best they may describe how to install the tools. That's why I took the time to post this thread: SOHC V6 Camshaft Timing
Even so, there still seems to be some confusion about how to do it with the tools. The next time I do it I'll take photos to supplement the text. Since you're going to be doing more than just the timing if you PM me your email address I'll send you the engine assembly instructions with numerous drawings that includes using the tool set.

Back