• Register Today It's free!

2003 4.6 intake manifold help

JSHaag

Reaction score
City, State
Owensboro Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer V8
So I have a 2003 with the 4.6 and need to replace the intake. I've searched several sites and on amautoparts found one for a very good price but it only lists it for being for a 2002, my question is wouldn't the 2003 be the same intake? I'd like to order the one off am because its considerably cheaper. Any insight or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I just went through this with my 2003. The Dorman part does not fit our 2003 without some modifications and I chose to buy a genuine Ford part. I located several options from vendors on eBay and got it with shipping included for $308. The part I bought turned out to be from a Ford dealer parts dept in California who was listing them on eBay. I've read others saying they bought the Dorman and made it fit but I didn't want to chance it. i did a write up about my install you may have seen. I am very glad I bought to original Ford part for the peace of mind that it's the correct fit. You will also have to buy set of gaskets and I recommend FelPro from Rock Auto for about $15. Yeah it's more money for Ford manifold but it's fixed properly. Let me know if you want to discuss anything by PM

The Dorman version has a coolant passage (nipple) that was apparently only used in 2002. You just have to securely cap it. There's some good threads about it in this forum.

In Google type: "Explorer 4.6 intake site:www.explorerforum.com" look through the results.

Back