2003 4.6 V8 Torque converter noise solved | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 4.6 V8 Torque converter noise solved

muscleclone

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited 4.6
As with many other members here with the torque converter noise between gears and seemed to quiet down after the torque converter totally engaged. I was sure it was the torque converter and not the heat shield noise because I have the truck on the lift while running and heard the noise coming from the torque converter. I went ahead and ordered a torque converter from EBay for $230 and replaced it. The noise is gone. I and very happy with the result. It took me the whole weekend to get the job done. Thank You for all the help from this forum.

As with many other members here with the torque converter noise between gears and seemed to quiet down after the torque converter totally engaged. I was sure it was the torque converter and not the heat shield noise because I have the truck on the lift while running and heard the noise coming from the torque converter. I went ahead and ordered a torque converter from EBay for $230 and replaced it. The noise is gone. I and very happy with the result. It took me the whole weekend to get the job done. Thank You for all the help from this forum.

Torque Converters themselves can and do make noise, sometimes pretty horrible and scary. Years ago, I bought a bone-yard 352 and Cruise-O-Matic for my '55 Merc. Started up, horrible grinding noise right away, never even put it in gear. The guy gave me another T.C., I looked carefully for shavings or anything scary, found none. (Those converters had 2 drain plugs, so you could check oil coming out of the converter). New converter, quiet, car ran like a raped ape! Rewarding for a 17 year old kid! imp

Back