2003 4.6L 281ci 2V Aluminum Block | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 4.6L 281ci 2V Aluminum Block

eddiebeauer064.6

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
A couple months ago I sold my 2002 Mustang Gt, I had swapped the engine for a 2003 4.6L to have the aluminum block. I pulled it in 2 hours and had it torn down the next day, the engine had roughly 182xxx. I had replaced as much as my wallet would let me haha, new piston rings, new valves, new plugs, coils, all new sensors, new oil pump, new water pump, new alternator, new wire harness, new timing chains and guides, all brand new gaskets, new cams, heads were cleaned, block was cleaned and the tops of the positions were cleaned. The engines bearings, rods and pins looked perfectly fine. I had it all back together after 3 weeks. I had 2 professional mechanic look over it before I put the engine back in. I had to swap the timing chain cover and convert some stuff over for it to properly work in the Mustang. Long story short, I sold it to a older gentleman but on his drive home the engine completely gave out and it barely ran. I never heard what happed to it since but I want to know how in the H*LL a very strong 4.6L 281 could just die. It ran so good and had so much power. He was going to restore the car completely so I know he wasn’t one to hot rod and blow the engine in 30 minutes

Will the engine crank over? Cutting off on the ride home cld be ECU related or hopefully knock on wood none of the parts you used were defective or replaced incorrectly.

^^
& the Crankshaft position sensor on those 4.6’s have caused them to cut off while driving as far as I’ve heard from others.

Back