2003 5r55s with 247k is tired... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 5r55s with 247k is tired...

Dredwolf

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT,1991 XLT
Last night, after dinner, our 03 4.0 XLT would not engage any gear while running. I slid under it, and the linkage worked, but shifting through the gears did nothing. Called AAA and got a rollback to carry home. Once unloaded, I started it, and have the accelerator a quick stab, then tried the gears again...it moved. Got home today, drove it around the property to get the fluid hot, and checked the fluid level...if anything it was a half quart too full, but that fluid was dark. I've expected this transmission to finally wear out, but the repair/replace options have me worried. Local shop qouted $1400 to rebuild, and I have a neighbor mechanic getting a Jasper qoute. I need this done right, but time and sheltered work area are scarce for me now with other farm chores pressing. Am I right that the qoute seems too low to include a torque converter? Most of the transmission shops here have poor reputations, with junkyard trans being sold as rebuilt, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last night, after dinner, our 03 4.0 XLT would not engage any gear while running. I slid under it, and the linkage worked, but shifting through the gears did nothing. Called AAA and got a rollback to carry home. Once unloaded, I started it, and have the accelerator a quick stab, then tried the gears again...it moved. Got home today, drove it around the property to get the fluid hot, and checked the fluid level...if anything it was a half quart too full, but that fluid was dark. I've expected this transmission to finally wear out, but the repair/replace options have me worried. Local shop qouted $1400 to rebuild, and I have a neighbor mechanic getting a Jasper qoute. I need this done right, but time and sheltered work area are scarce for me now with other farm chores pressing. Am I right that the qoute seems too low to include a torque converter? Most of the transmission shops here have poor reputations, with junkyard trans being sold as rebuilt, etc.
@Dredwolf
Right up my alley! '04 with 165k, still working, but on a shoestring. Unless you know what-all work has been done on your transmission, this is an exemplary show in favor of 5R55S: it's been bad-mouthed to death, yet I'm sure Ford would not risk releasing a known certain-to-fail so widely. Used in numerous of their lines, both small and big engines.

Over a year ago, mine started to kind of shudder upon shifting into 5th. gear, before Torque Converter Clutch apply. Shudder increased with throttle increase. On impulse, knowing the rebuild manual called for two different band adjustments on the same trans (back off 2 turns in cars, 1-1/2 in trucks), I checked mine. It was at about 2+ turns. I re-torqued it, backed off 1-1/2, and the G.D. trans has been working fine since. That's why I call it borrowed time.

Any automatic that makes it to 165K trouble-free is in my book pretty damned good. Mine did not, but had a failed TCC solenoid at about 100K. I've discussed the TCC problem elsewhere, it's an issue related to driver-habit: QUIT getting on and off the gas pedal for no needed reason. Other than my not knowing the original owner's driving habits, I cannot fault my 5R55S. imp

Well, I got a quote for a Jasper transmission with install for a little over $3K. But, with the Explorer on a lift today, sounds like one of the timing chain tensioners has failed, and a timing chain is slapping. We pulled the motor and did the timing chains almost 70K ago, but maybe with some luck, they'll warranty the parts.
But I'm still stuck with a transmission problem that needs a less costly solution, since I'm going to have to spend some $$ on the motor again. I'm in upstate South Carolina, anyone got a transmission shop they would recommend? I'll be turning wrenches and welding this weekend to get secondary vehicles running ASAP, so that I can make a good decision on the transmission and not rush it.

Dredwolf. How close to Charlotte are you?

I'm in Spartanburg, used to work in Pineville over 20 years ago.

I've got a good friend that owns a Mr. Transmission shop in Charlotte. Looking at a map its probably farther than you want to travel.

I've got a good friend that owns a Mr. Transmission shop in Charlotte. Looking at a map its probably farther than you want to travel.
I appreciate the response. I'm willing to travel for a quality rebuild that checks the right boxes.
Is a quality rebuild possible for that $1400 qoute? I could not ask technical details on the quote at the time, but that price seems low.

Did a little searching today, I am really questioning the $1400 quote for a rebuild now, looking at some of the prices for the parts kits. Since I already have to pull the motor for the timing chains, I could pull the transmission and take it to a shop to be rebuilt right, so distance matters less now.

The Explorer still moves on it's own after it warms up a bit, but we have parked it until we can get a plan that works.

Back