• Register Today It's free!

2003 A/C Question

BUmmedic

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 LTD Centennial Ed. V6
Posted this in another forum, but figured people may not see it under that particular thread name... so here it is... searched threads and found some related and similar stuff, but nothing with basic information about what's what for a mechanical simpleton like myself... thanks...

Okay, so now that the weather has warmed up, I don't get that fast repetitive clicking when I start the vehicle with the auto climate control on (seemed like blend door noise to me), but I did test my A/C and it's not working, either set to Auto or adjusting manually. I popped the hood and took a few pics of a part of my serpentine assembly that is kicking on and off (audible click when it turns on and starts to rotate)... alternates between on and off every couple of seconds... here are a few pics...

... and a video (engine running)...

Sorry for the crap quality, used my cell phone camera. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I do not hear my compressor kick on, but this thing kicks on and off. I didn't notice it at first, but definitely heard it after a bit. I haven't used my A/C since buying the explorer in Sept. 06 (wasn't warm enough). I'm trying to localize my problem before taking it into the dealer...

Add Freon, if there isn't enough it will cycle on and off

What you are seeing in the photograph is the clutch on the compressor. As was noted, a system with a low charge will cycle as you describe - but the system is designed to operate by cycling the clutch, it is just that it stays on longer when there is a proper charge.

Add Freon, if there isn't enough it will cycle on and off

Okay, here's where my amateur knowledge will definitely show... is this easy for me to do myself without any special tools/machines/etc.? Or should I leave well enough alone and take it somewhere for a professional to do it? I work hours that don't leave me much time during any regular business day/hours, so getting it to someone else may be a challenge. Thanks again.

Back