Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Hey everyone,

This car came up in the chat tonight. As I've mentioned before, I'm considering it to replace my LS400 along with the Benz S500, the Lexus LS430 (being redesigned), the new Jag XJ and the new Audi A8.

Whats everyone's opinions on it? This is the combo I'd get, black with black interior

Attachments

• bmw71.jpg
    bmw71.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 617

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice car.. i would go with the m5 for the $$ tho.. but thats just me =P

My next door neighboor had one for about a month and went right back to the LS430 that he had before. He said that his Lexus (in his opinion) was better hands down.

If that had the sport package wheels... hell yeah. Those ones are screaming "CAMRY HUBCAPS!"

Hear it? :D

ya know i was thinking the same thing with the rims

Sorry about the late picture down beneath, Iw as wrestling with it, it wouldnt post.

Hey Ga, thats one of the main things I'm worried about. I'm used to the quality, smoothness and reliability of the Lexus, and I know frommy own experience, watching others go through it and with industry info that the BMW lacks in smoothness (its sportier) and somewhat seriously in reliability. I've driven the car, I liked it but I can definately feel the stiffer ride. Still rides nice though. The idrive would take me years to figure out.

What specifically did he miss about the Lexus?

Originally posted by Mikke
nice car.. i would go with the m5 for the $$ tho.. but thats just me =P

Eh the M5 isn't my kind of car. Its too small, too firm, I prefer big and comfortable.

Originally posted by Stephen
Sorry about the late picture down beneath, Iw as wrestling with it, it wouldnt post.

Hey Ga, thats one of the main things I'm worried about. I'm used to the quality, smoothness and reliability of the Lexus, and I know frommy own experience, watching others go through it and with industry info that the BMW lacks in smoothness (its sportier) and somewhat seriously in reliability. I've driven the car, I liked it but I can definately feel the stiffer ride. Still rides nice though. The idrive would take me years to figure out.

What specifically did he miss about the Lexus?

he thought that in general the Lexus was a better car. It rode smoother and he said it had better fit and finish. He said that the dealership treated him with much more respect and was just better at customer service with his Lexus. Basically, he thought that the Lexus was a better car in all categories.

This is just my opinion so it should by no means be taken seriously... BUT.. I think the 745i screams "LOOK AT ME I HAVE ALOT OF MONEY AND I WANT EVERYONE ELSE TO KNOW!" That and Theyre fugly. I dunno what BMW was thinking the older 7 series where much classier looking. The trunk lids on those things are just messed up. For what you pay for one of those you could buy alot of other cars. I can't justify spending all that money on a car to move me from point a to b. I drive my 6k dollar Explorer over 50 miles a day, Im in it alot.

my 2 cents i think bmw are totally ruining the front of their cars that wind tunnel has a lot to answer for. all the cars are losing thier character years a ago you could tell from 100 yards off what they are now they all look the same.

Stephen,
I am a hug BMW fan - although I wouldbe looking at a 4 yr old 540i myself... :)

However, if you like the ride of the Lexus, you won't like the BMW. The Lexus was built as a luxury car - with the ride you would expect - quite, smooth shifts and acceleration and a very smooth ride.

The BMW's are built as a true sports sedan - you can feel everything in the road - not that it's a bad thing, but it is very different from what you are used to.

Personally, I don't like the Lexus line at all. The ride isn't my style. I do think you will prefer the Lexus though.

Jon

Originally posted by Stephen
the new Jag XJ

That'd be my vote. But I think we've had this conversation before :)

Out of those choices, I'd pick the A8. However, if I had that much moolah, I'd get a RS6 or E55 AMG -- more rare, and muich more fun!

Just one thing:

iDrive is a royal PITA!!!!!!!! In case you don't know, that's the nav, radio, climate system that uses a mouse type knob as a controller. Talk about distraction!

I agree about iDrive. WAY too funky for an auto. I would look long and hard at the A8, especially the redesigned one 'bout to come round. That spaceframe is the bomb...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by FMExplorer

However, if you like the ride of the Lexus, you won't like the BMW. The Lexus was built as a luxury car - with the ride you would expect - quite, smooth shifts and acceleration and a very smooth ride.

The BMW's are built as a true sports sedan - you can feel everything in the road - not that it's a bad thing, but it is very different from what you are used to.

Jons got a great point - I think hes right on. BMWs are drivers cars , the "cadillac" ride you are looking for may not be there in the european cars. Japanese lux cars have always seemed to drive a little softer to me. Personally I dont like them. We usually look to the European cars BMW, Audi,VW, Volvo etc.

I like the A8 out of that bunch though.

Good Luck

Back