2003 clunk, jump, thing that isn't what you think it is. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 clunk, jump, thing that isn't what you think it is.

Bhoolehan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer
Hey all

New to the forum but not forums in general. I tried searching first but to no avail. So now I'm writing you fine folks!

2003 Ford Explorer, 140,000mi, 4wd

Here's the problem. When I accelerate I get a weird jerky clunky thing that happens. Very similar to a bad front drive shaft or VC. Here's the thing, I've replaced the transfer case 3 times, and the drive shaft has been replaced with a new one. Problem still persists. No CEL, no other performance related issues I can detect.

Thanks in advance everyone for reading and helping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

I'd ask for a little more detail please. Describe what's going on while you get the noise/issue.

Accelerate while at speed?
Accelerate from a stop only?
Accelerate with a sharp turn from a stop?
Accelerate fast vs slow?

Hey, sorry about those details. It's when accelerating. Doesn't matter if it's rolling or from a complete stop. It does seem to be more prevelant with uphill travel and with temperature increase. Both ambient and operating (so a higher delta temp). Speed doesn't matter so much either, it happens both at high speed and low speeds but typically when around 2000-3000rpm. Turning does not make it better or worse. I do have some bad rotors I need to get to. I did verify that the VC was in fact bad and so was the front drive shaft. I took it into a trans shop, the guy owns the place and has been doing driveline work for about 30 years says it has him stumped. Took the front and rear diff apart, there's some wear but nothing that should be making this happen. I recently had an O2 sensor go bad that I replaced and I think it might possibly be a low grade misfire or some dirty was in the TB, or a tolerance cumulative overflow... Or all of th above but not enough to throw a cel

Unplug the t-case or 4wd module in passenger kick panel and take it for a drive. I have seen the module go bad and cause false engagement.

Unplug the t-case or 4wd module in passenger kick panel and take it for a drive. I have seen the module go bad and cause false engagement.

Almost exactly what it feels like. A false engagement that is. I'll check it out, because I also forgot to add that it does go away when I pull the ds. I'll check back in about 30 or so.

Okay, found it, disconnected it, went for a short drive around the block a couple times. It would appear that the problem is gone. How long can I drive with it disconnected like this? I would like to go about my day to verify that the issue is in fact gone. Sometimes it takes a while for the problem to start.

It should not hurt anything. The problem is the module in the kick panel. A new one from for is around $350 I think. You can get a used one but you just never know.

Disconnected it, drove for about 80 miles with it disconnected. No problems, it's a little Shaky in the rear but I also have two bad rotors back there. So I'll grab a new 4x4 cm and then see where we are. Until then

Clunk

I have had the tranny and computer replaced on my '02 Limited but it still hesitates and has a tinny-sounding clunk that happens mostly when backing up.

Is this the same issue you were having?

Thanks.

Shawn

Okay, found it, disconnected it, went for a short drive around the block a couple times. It would appear that the problem is gone. How long can I drive with it disconnected like this? I would like to go about my day to verify that the issue is in fact gone. Sometimes it takes a while for the problem to start.

I had the same problem. I also disconnected the sensor by pulling the fuses. Put about 2k miles on it this way and just put the fuses in when I needed 4x4. I was told my tires were to blame, I got the truck with the problem and it had mix-matched tire. I just did not want to drop $500 bucks on tires for a truck I barely drove when the problem was easy to work around. Well I just put 4 brand new tires on it and the jerkyness is gone. If you replace the sensor and the problem persist I would recommend new tires. here is the link to my thread about this same problem created almost a year ago.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415615

-WT

I had the same problem. I also disconnected the sensor by pulling the fuses. Put about 2k miles on it this way and just put the fuses in when I needed 4x4. I was told my tires were to blame, I got the truck with the problem and it had mix-matched tire. I just did not want to drop $500 bucks on tires for a truck I barely drove when the problem was easy to work around. Well I just put 4 brand new tires on it and the jerkyness is gone. If you replace the sensor and the problem persist I would recommend new tires. here is the link to my thread about this same problem created almost a year ago.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415615

-WT

This is crazy because I did notice the problem after I put brand new wheels and tires all the way around it. 15" wheels with continental extremecontacts

Back