2003 cobra vs explorer 1/4 mile | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 cobra vs explorer 1/4 mile

ok what i want to know is hpw much rwhp do i need to beat a 2003 cobra with the 390 hp? what about the older cobra's? i have the typical 4 door v8 right now but this would be after i built the engine of course. i know there is a calculation for the weight of my vehicle to horsepower ratio to get it to such and such 1/4 mile time. and then all i need is the 1/4 mile time by the cobra. any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

03'

Yeah, james t, I hear ya... I just saw a few people mention other year cobra's. A guy in my development has an 03 cobra and an 03 lightning. That bad boy will fly. I went for a ride the other day and it will pin you to your seat right off the start. The only time I plan on racing him is on the beach... hehe I also noticed a little confusion with it being superchargered so, just for the record, to all you reading..

THE 2003 FORD COBRA IS SUPERCHARGED FROM THE FACTORY!

Maybe that will help...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

James, I'm dumb... I dont know how I managed to type 2xx whatever....DOH...... Not payin attention I guess

james t, im aware of the supercharger on the 03 cobra, i just mentioned my roommates older one because that thing could move, and with a supercharger, its kinda like "dont even bother", thats all i was saying. though, if someone wants to build a speed machine out of an X, i say 'go for it' - itll be really cool to see.

You need 450 rear wheel hp to beat a "stock 2003 Cobra". With 430 hp I beat a 12.75 car on the street. The stock cobra goes around 12.80. It would be faster if it was lighter but those cobras are around 3700 lbs. Its only 600 lbs less than me and I have a fully loaded truck. THis is why the ZO6 is so much faster than the cobra because the corvette is 3100 lbs. That is 600 lbs less than the cobra which is the same differrence between me and the cobra. Ford still does not relize yet that to go faster you dont always have to have more hp. I wish they could take out 600 lbs from the cobra then those vette guys would only see the rear bumpers of the 2003 cobras.

How many people who can afford an 03' cobra are gonna keep it stock though?

Actually, Cobras have always been a good value. The '03s are getting a bit pricey at around $40k, but 390hp for that money is still a bargain.

Originally posted by Alec
Actually, Cobras have always been a good value. The '03s are getting a bit pricey at around $40k, but 390hp for that money is still a bargain.

yeah, but that price is quickly approaching saleen territory. you might even be able to get a mild saleen mustang for around $40-45k.

Hey Rocket 5979,

Don't forget me!:D

I'm gunin' for second quickest too!

I'll be c n 12's very soon.... Dom;)

MSRP for an 03 Cobra Coupe is right under 35k. Convertible is more like 36-37 I think. Still a good deal for over 400 hp. The unblown Saleen 281 runs 32k+. A fully loaded blown 281 Convertible is 45ish. The 03 Cobra performs just as well in most areas and better in 1/4 time. I think Roush and Saleen are really gonna have to improve the power of their cars to justify the price tag.

rousch...

The Roush comes in three different packages. Stage 1, 2 and 3. I priced the stage three last year at 53K and the convertible w/ roll at 57K. They look great with the side exhausts and stuff but pushing 60k for a stang is a little pricy for my blood.

hey dom

hey dom, buddy you got second quickest. but i still want to try to catch up with you. maybe i will be able to maybe not but it sure will be veeeery fun trying wont it. lol. i cannot wait i am like a little boy dancing to go to the bathroom. hey dom i seen something about you getting your powerdyne soon. when does that come in? you got to post those dyno results and track times. is it the bd-11 or the xb-1a unit? you have nos on it already of were you even planning on setting it up for nos? ok so bill and dom have 347's, i forget if there is anyone else who has theirs in by now. when i do it i will surely post results. in fact i may go to florida to do it. i will find out. maybe take two weeks leave from the good ol seabee base here and go there and just work on building my car up. well talk to you later.

ooooh 200th post!!!

hey bill what is troll running for rwhp now? i have not seen an update for a while. ever get a chance to go to the dyno with the nos and everything ironed out? i wish they would unban you so we could see the nonbraking times with nos. man that would be sooooo awesome. of course another video would be in store then. to see troll break into 10's in video. heck i would pay money for that tape. c yall later.

what does the s351 saleen run?...~$65k? for roughly that much money, id sooner hunt down a cobra r :)

347 guys...

I would love to see some pics of your engine compartment and your cars.... I think you're corrupting my brain. :)

trust me when i get mine done here in a little while i will have full pics. and i will make a few videos of runs and passes too when it is "completed" yeah right like it will ever be complete!!! hehe. the only time it will be complete is when i can get it to run 6's in the 1/4, but then again that would only take a lifes earning in my paychecks (anybody know what an engine to the F-14 Tomcat fighter jet cost?)so i will be comfortable with mid high 12's when i get it done. if down the lines i broke into 11's then that would be just unimagineable. but if i did i think it would be down the line a little bit. like a few years. better start saving again. man this is a neverending process. ok i am just babbling again. hey dom did you ever get another chance to run your times with the new injectors and other stuff you were planning on getting yet?

The old S351s were baaaaaaaaad cars though. Low 12s off the show room floor.

The real monster though, anyone ever seen the really rare Saleen Cobras? Those monsters supposedly ran mid 11s with slicks!

All you guys and your 347 swaps are making me start to think.... Wonder how well it would fit in a sport.....

hehehehe

and the revolution begins....

Originally posted by Magicfan25
The old S351s were baaaaaaaaad cars though. Low 12s off the show room floor.

The real monster though, anyone ever seen the really rare Saleen Cobras? Those monsters supposedly ran mid 11s with slicks!

All you guys and your 347 swaps are making me start to think.... Wonder how well it would fit in a sport.....
347 supercharged in a sport = :eek: :confused: , I don't think you would have any traction at all, but if it hooked that lil' 2dr will haul some serious ass!

As for the 03's you better have some serious mods cause they flat out fly. My friend at school has an 03' Cobra with a magnaflow catback and magnaflow x-pipe, intake, and the pully from the Lightning engine and I think he dynoed in the 460ish range, I'll find out the exact number tomorrow.

Look at MM&FF and the 03' Cobra will gain 59hp and 83 lbs-ft. of torque from just the pully upgrade and air filter removed. Stock - 381.3rwhp and 374.8 lbs-ft. of torque. Filter removed and pully upgrade - 441.2rwhp and 458.4 lbs-ft. of torque which is what basically all the guys on Stangnet are getting stock and with those 2 little mods. Absolutley sick and all underwarrenty, can't beat that. With those 2 mods and drag radials they were in the 11's with a best of 11.68 at 119.36mph.:eek:

As I said, a "stock" cobra not a moded one.

wooo its troll we have not seen you in a while ... whats have you been up to?

Back