2003 cobra vs explorer 1/4 mile | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 cobra vs explorer 1/4 mile

ok what i want to know is hpw much rwhp do i need to beat a 2003 cobra with the 390 hp? what about the older cobra's? i have the typical 4 door v8 right now but this would be after i built the engine of course. i know there is a calculation for the weight of my vehicle to horsepower ratio to get it to such and such 1/4 mile time. and then all i need is the 1/4 mile time by the cobra. any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will take you and little white Miata out any day of the week even though your particular Miata has a V8. Now if you ever get balls and a daily driver then put your NOS back on then we have a real race going. Until then the only race you would beat me at is on a road coarse.
As far as Lightnings go I will beat those 5000 lbs terds too. Every lightning owner thinks they drive a race car. I especially love toasting them for fun.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by InS0mNiAc
hey LowdPypes when did you drive an 03? They havn't even started making them yet....job 1 isn't until nov 4th, just wonderin if you have an inside hook up or something.
Yeh , they've been out for a few months, the guy across the intracoastal (actually he across the canal on the side) from us took delivery in July and get this, he bought his kid a new Porsche 911 which he ended up totalling and gave the 03' Cobra to him after he just totalled the Porsche, lucky little spoiled *******. He also trashed his new M3 before the Porsche, and now they give him the Cobra? Am I missing something? He's gonna kill himself in it.

It can be done. I"ve raced an 03 cobra at the track. He ran a 12.8, my x ran an 13.9 against him all i runnin is 100 shot nitrous works, MAC cold air intake,MAC cat back and some weight reduction. With the all wheel drive im at half track before he can even think of gettin traction

I think your all talking about the 2003 cobras. As I said before, the 2003 lightnings have not even been made yet. Job 1 date is nov 4th, currently 1 or 2 exist and they both belong to svt for testing. So whoever told you all that they drove a 2003 is lying their ass off. The way you can tell a 2003 from a 2002 is by the ugly plain rims they have.

Originally posted by InS0mNiAc
I think your all talking about the 2003 cobras. As I said before, the 2003 lightnings have not even been made yet. Job 1 date is nov 4th, currently 1 or 2 exist and they both belong to svt for testing. So whoever told you all that they drove a 2003 is lying their ass off. The way you can tell a 2003 from a 2002 is by the ugly plain rims they have.
My bad, I thought you were talking about the Cobras for some reason.

What did they do to the rims?
Have you heard anything about the new Lightning yet (not the 03') Theres a few people who are on Fords reasearch and development team and svt on the Mustang forums and they said to compete with the new Dodge SRT10 (if it actually comes out) they said they couldn't realease any info just yet, but they are working on a Lightning that not only will spank the SRT-10, but will be one of the fastest accelerating vehicles on the road. Sweet:cool:

Originally posted by JoeC5
The new cobra's are garbage and Ford knows it. In fact they are stopping production of all cobras this year. Here is the article. http://www.bonforums.com/mustang/cobra_03prodstopped102902.htm
That article doesn't even make sense "the only Cobras made were sold in the dearborn area" I can think of about 20 people that I have seen run at Morrosso Speedway here in Fl. with an 03' and a crapload more on stangnet and corral that have 03's in Fl, not to mention in every other state.

Just about all of these guys have done the mods way beyond what it was standard and drive them at the strip every weekend, some a couple times a week, and they have not had any problems, they track them with no problem and they whup on a C5 which even the C5 owners agree on forums, plus a few simple mods and its running with Vipers and ZO6's.

A friend of mine has had his scince July and drives the **** out of it and not one problem plus it seems built better than the previous mustangs. And another guy across the intracoastal from us got his kid an 03' Cobra from the dealer here, again in Fl. not dearborn or detroit.

EDIT - and they are not fully stopping production, in the article it says they are resuming around November 15th. Obviously it was something very minor if it took that quickly to fix.

Originally posted by SaleenEXP
That article doesn't even make sense "the only Cobras made were sold in the dearborn area" I can think of about 20 people that I have seen run at Morrosso Speedway here in Fl. with an 03' and a crapload more on stangnet and corral that have 03's in Fl, not to mention in every other state.

Strange isnt it, but the fact is that they built another mustang that wasnt up to par. Too much HP for such a little motor.

the problem with the 03 Cobra production has to do with the seats. one of the adjustments had no wire to it in the power seat harness, and they have to pull the interior out to run a new harness to the seats. how do i know this? because a friend at a ford dealership here did the wiring on the one 03 Cobra here in town. thats how i found out about it being in the area.

Originally posted by JoeC5
Strange isnt it, but the fact is that they built another mustang that wasnt up to par. Too much HP for such a little motor.
That is weird, also don't think that what I said about the C5 was aimed at you, some of the C5 owners are mad cool on stangnet and agree the cobra is better. I just saw your name and thought maybe you had a C5 and didn't want you think I was bashing or whatever.

That dohc motor can handle a lot of power, there are plenty of guys with 99' and 01' Cobras with a charger and regular bolt on s making over 500hp reliably, I wonder what the problem was, and it wmust have been something minor if it was fixed that fast.

Then they said the previous cobra was plagued with problems??? The only problem was on the 99's having piping that was too small for the exhaust when they were put into production, very minor considering it was replaced with the correct unit for everyone.

Originally posted by james t
the problem with the 03 Cobra production has to do with the seats. one of the adjustments had no wire to it in the power seat harness, and they have to pull the interior out to run a new harness to the seats. how do i know this? because a friend at a ford dealership here did the wiring on the one 03 Cobra here in town. thats how i found out about it being in the area.
I knew it had to be something minor to be fixed that fast! 03' Cobras rock!:D

The previous cobra's problem (in '99) is Ford rated the hp too high. They claimed 320 HP but, in fact, it was much lower. In 2001, they fixed this by doing a couple of things.

Originally posted by Jason_25
The previous cobra's problem (in '99) is Ford rated the hp too high. They claimed 320 HP but, in fact, it was much lower. In 2001, they fixed this by doing a couple of things.
That was b/c of the piping and exhaust I was talking about, they had the correct piping ready, but noticed it wouldn't fit for production and they changed a few things without testing them. The new exhaust is what gave the dohc engine the extra 15hp, but when they put the different piping on and other stuff it caused guys to dyno at the numbers the 305hp guys were getting.

Dont get me wrong, the new cobra is HUGE improvement over the previous ones. Let me rephrase, the 03 cobra is not garbage, it just needs to be refined a little bit more. Most of you would have to agree that it has the aerodynamics of a brick, but the car looks sharp. And they need to reduce weight.

It's aerodynamics aren't that bad but it is a little heavy at about 3800lbs, still amazing what it will do though even with that weight, that is one of the most impressive suspension systems I've ever experienced.

1 thing I like about the Corvette is , a friend of mine at school has a 02' ZO6, and the mileage he gets is amazing. He can cruise at like 80mph and still get close to 30mpg and even driving hard in the city he gets between 18-20mpg.
Another weird thing is that the Camarro/Firebird owners always seem to get crappier mileage than the corvette, a kid in my neighborhood has an SS and he doesn't even drive it close to as hard as my friends z06 yet he gets SUV like mileage, and on their forums the camarro/firebird guys are always wondering why they get crappy mileage, thats weird too.

Older Cobra's with some mods can lay the smack down. I am a member of the Little Rock Racing Scene, and one of our members has a older 5.0 cobra that is a twin turbo, a couple weeks ago at Memphis it went 11.7 with no traction at all. With the Brake up grades he can't even do a burn out. Either not enough power to break em lose or he will hit the rev limiter. ( He has a line lock thats not installed yet) Since everyone thinks older mustangs are just slaw I think they make great sleepers. Our guy has a gt badge on is cobra that is painted blk, and in chrome sticker says v6 extra power. Oh yea is anyone thinks I'm just blowing smoke I have video. Also I would like to be like Troll when I grow up.

Think the older 5.0's are sick, the new 03's are plain out insane. 2 simple mods, pully from the Lightning engine, remove silencer,= high 11's, how ever, throw on the drag radials that basically everyone will have and your looking at low to mid 11's easily, all under warrenty, gotta love that.

Imagine what the 03's will be able to do with the addition of 4.10 gears, intake, headers, cat-back, x-pipe, and a chip, maybe a new cams if your darring!!!!
That will easily put you into the 10's, incredible considering it weighs 3800lbs.

heh id focus on beating a non-blown cobra first.

for an 03 you would need over 400rwhp and a set of slicks....
and if i remember correctly troll cant even beat an 03 cobra....

last track thread i read of his he was runnin low 13's becuase of traction.
a stock 03 is capable of a 12.6 with a good driver.
air silencer k&n and exhuast is worth about 47hps on the 03. so good luck....

actually

actually mike troll can smoke a 2003 mustang. the only reason he has been having traction problems is because he had recently done a few more mods that upped his torque and horsepower alot more. plus, though i am not certain i think he was running drag radials not slicks which does make a difference. all bill has to do is maybe just re-adjust troll's suspension and run with slicks. i am almost 100% certain that he is running WELL over 500 rwhp and close to as much torque to boot which i believe is without NOS. come on bill "troll" or blk_mk8 help me out here. by the way i know you may scoff at my next statement. but i really think that with the resources i have 400 rwhp wont be awefully hard to achieve. not i am also not saying that i am just going to go out and buy synthetic lubes and cold air inductio kit and claim to run 12's or any B.S. it will take alot of money and some time. but both of those i am willing to and have already dedicated to this project. i am almost tempted to make a bet with the people who are doubting,....but my money is going elsewhere right now.

Originally posted by mikeresin
heh id focus on beating a non-blown cobra first.

for an 03 you would need over 400rwhp and a set of slicks....
and if i remember correctly troll cant even beat an 03 cobra....

last track thread i read of his he was runnin low 13's becuase of traction.
a stock 03 is capable of a 12.6 with a good driver.
air silencer k&n and exhuast is worth about 47hps on the 03. so good luck....
yeh, the 03's are sick and respond incredibly. Just about all the guys talking off the air-silencer are picking up 15-20rwhp. No other car will that happen on, plus just about all of them are picking up 45rwhp and more just from a filter and new cat-back. And remember, these are rwhp, not flywheel, and the guys that do other simple mods are putting out incredibly power.

Back