woodychitwn

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited
Hybrid SUVs

Alright, so with 2003 upon us, I was wondering what everyone thought about the Hybrid Ford Escape due out this year, and Hybrid SUVs in general.

For anyone who hasn't been keeping up, the Escape is rumored to start at $25,500 when it arrives on showroom floors, which is about 25% higher than the base model Escape. It'll have an estimated 40mpg fuel efficiency, and optional 4 wheel drive. And it would be out sooner, but it's currently being field-tested to make sure it's as off-road, all-weather capable as its gasoline counterpart.

According to my boyfriend's uncle who works for GM, they're currently working on hybrid diesels for their larger trucks, with 20% better economy than comparable diesels and 25-40% better economy than equivalent gasoline engines. Their fear is that Chrysler is going to beat them to market with a better engine, since Daimler-Chrysler bought Detroit Diesel and Daimler-Benz already has years of real-world experience in europe. So, with those two neck and neck, I have no clue where Ford stands on Hybrid-Diesels.

Regardless, I think it's generally assumed that the Hybrid-Diesels are going to do well, and if the Escape HEV has good sales then it's only a matter of a few short years until the mid-size SUVs start sporting hybrid engines. So, would you pay 25% more for a Hybrid Explorer, with 40% better fuel economy and a $2,000 income tax rebate?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Escape HEV has been undergoing field testing for over a year now. I was going to take one for a recruiting trip a year ago, but they didn't recommend going a long distance with them at that time.

I think that they will be a great vehicle, and should have a decent price. Since the target market for this is not those buying the base Escape, the price comparison is better with a V6.

I found out at the auto show here that if you're driving a Hybrid vehicle you can also drive in the HOV lanes without a passenger! Especially around here, that would be enough to make me buy one, nothing is more irritating than sitting in traffic watching the HOV go by...

What are HOV Lanes?

High Occupancy Vehicle lanes, diamond lanes.

The hybrid sounds great! I'd just be interested how much power you lose or gain (lose) and the corresponding performance hit.

To be honest, I've never driven a Hybrid vehicle, I drove the electric GM EV1 in Florida, which was just a glorified golf cart really. I'll have to go drive a Prius or a Civic Hybrid or something and report back.

My dad tested the EV1 when they were still in the testing stage. We got to borrow one for 3 weeks. Neat little thing, but if you drove it at all aggressively it had little range.

Americans need to become more accepting of diesels, and trucking company lobbysists need to allow the diesel to be refined better. Once we get the high concentration of sulfur out, we can produce very clean diesels, and as we all know, diesel is far superior to gas in terms of efficieny and durability. You won't miss the speed too much either since a hybrid is slower than gas also.

Back