2003 explore transfer case PM

jcraft

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo , ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 limited
Hi all,

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer limited with 60,000 miles on it. I was looking at the maint. schedule on line and it looks like the transfer case oil does not need to be changed until 150,000 miles unless it is used for extensive periods towing, off roading etc.. I do use it to tow an RV about a half dozen times a year for approx. 50 miles per trip ( this is the first year towing). Not sure if that qualifies for extensive periods. Anyways, can some chime in and let me know how often you change the case oil and if it is easy to do. I also seen in the manual about changing the differential oil as well but is confusing as they state so may variables as to when to change ( such as if you have sythentic- but how do you now what they put in) or if you need to change at all.

First, V8 or V6 (? SOHC) so we know which transfer case. Extensive periods and such wording almost always means "any". At any rate, you should use the towing service intervals based on your use. Differential oil will depend on which diff. This will depend on which engine and which gear ratio, limited slip etc. Get the rear diff code off the door jamb or the tag on the diff itself. These will tell us the specifics.

Just a very broad response- most Explorers come with synthetic in the rear diff so 100k unless submerged in water. 150k for a transfer case seems very long. Get back with your specifics and we can give more intellegent answers to your questions.

Back