2003 Explorer 4.6 slow to start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer 4.6 slow to start

sjtbaker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '03 Eddie Bauer
My '03 Explorer, 130,000 miles, has recently started to crank longer than usual before it starts, on occasion taking a 2nd attempt to get it started, but usually starts immediatley on 2nd attempt. It has yet to fail to start at all. It almost cranks like it is flooded. I haven't noticed any difference while driving it.
Thanks for any advice.

Steve B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have a leaking fuel pressure regulator, or a bad check valve in the fuel pump. Both will cause a loss of fuel pressure after the vehicle sits for a long time. Then it will take longer to crank and build up useable fuel pressure.

You may have a leaking fuel pressure regulator, or a bad check valve in the fuel pump. Both will cause a loss of fuel pressure after the vehicle sits for a long time. Then it will take longer to crank and build up useable fuel pressure.
Thanks for the reply and advice. I do believe I have a bad fuel pump. Is the pressure regulator in the tank on the 03s? I have access to a nearly new fuel pump from an '07 Exlporer with the same engine. Would you happen to know if they are interchangeable?

How old are the plugs? My 4L would do that when I needed new plugs.

I left out some very important information. I did have the fuel pressure checked and while running the pressure is around 65 but drops off almost immediately to nothing when engine is shut off. I called a local dealership to ask about a pressure regulator but all they could come up with was a fuel dampener. Is the regulator on the fuel rail?

sjtbaker did you ever find the solution to this problem?

I never got a definitive answer but have been told by most folks that it is a bad regulator or check valve meaning I will need a new fuel pump. Due to economic circumstances I haven't been able to put a new fuel pump on it but have been driving it over a year now and the problem is no better or worse. I just have to give the key a few turns to build up pressure to avoid wearing out the starter.

Thanks sjtbaker my truck has the same problem I don't don't know about the pressure dropping, but it does it on cold starts. I just changed the fuel filter tonight to see if that makes any difference,then I suppose my next step is to get the pressure checked. Did you check the pressur yourself?

Mine does the same thing. Most of the time just turn the key to the on position and let it sit for around 3 sec. It should crank right up. This allows it to build fuel pressure.

I had the pressure checked at a local garage. biswrest Did the fuel filter help?

I started it twice this morning and it fired right up. I was surprised I thought for sure it wasn't going to help. I'm hoping that was it.

What did you do different biswredt?

mcfoss1, I put a fuel filter in on Saturday evening. A pain in the butt, it took me 2.5 hours but it has seemed to have fixed the problem. Sunday it fired right up everytime I started it. The hard part was getting the main line off filter. It finally came off all, I had to do was jam the plastic tool in as far as I could with a screwdriver and pull the thing off. That was after monkeying around with it for a while. I am hoping that's it.

the fuel filter did not work, have any of you guys tried changing the fuel pressure injector damper?

Back