2003 Explorer 4.6 timing chain help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer 4.6 timing chain help

muscleclone

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited 4.6
Hello Everyone,

I was trying to solve the mystery noise from the engine which make me believe it was the timing chain issue. Took out the timing chain cover and did not see any damage to the guides or the tensioners. However, upon closely inspection, the driver side chain is a little bit loose. Took out the tensioner and did see the back of it fill with sludge and therefore no oil can flow thru. It was soft and I can squeese with my finger because there was no oil inside to build up pressure. I cleaned all the sludge and put it back. The passenger side tensioner was clean with no sludge in the back and I cannot squeeze in with my fingers because of the oil still inside.

I was thinking of replaced all the guides and tentioners since everything has been taken apart, should I or just replace the tensioner?.

TIA for all the help.

Kevin

Hello, I am going though the very same kind of problem.

First of your looking at around $300.00+ for real Ford Parts, if you plan on driving her now selling her to the first sucker you find, I would be very careful to but any of the cheaper China made junk parts. Some of their inferior parts have lifes of hours to days.

I believe I found the lowest priced Real Ford Dealer for parts, they have a special online sales point: Genuine OEM Ford Parts & Accessories | Silver State Ford Parts

I think you will find my own thread helpful especially the last post.

The one bad part is your saying: "Took out the tensioner and did see the back of it fill with sludge and therefore no oil can flow thru. It was soft and I can squeese with my finger because there was no oil inside to build up pressure. I cleaned all the sludge and put it back. The passenger side tensioner was clean with no sludge in the back and I cannot squeeze in with my fingers because of the oil still inside."

FIRST thing they have internal springs, so that tensioner is bad, total junk, You really need to replace it. New ones come with grenade pins holding the plunger back until in stalled then you pull these pins to release the plungers....

Second bad news is the sludge, that also is bad news...how many miles on her??

Sadly that hints at poor upkeep, I will let others tell you how bad that is.

Well good luck with your project.

Rich

Back