2003 Explorer - 4x4Hi flashing & pwr mirrors locks doors! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer - 4x4Hi flashing & pwr mirrors locks doors!

Mike-in-Maine

Reaction score
City, State
Lewiston, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 & 2005 Explorer
Ok... well these things never cease... new timing chains on 4.0 (engine R&R) was a great success... but now the beast is giving new issues...

I have the dreaded blinking "4x4 High" lamp.... and the power mirror control doesn't move the mirrors, it LOCKS THE DOORS!

Item 1) 4x4 High. I've checked 4x4 LO function and when that button is pressed (trans=N) I can hear the relay click, and the transfer case goes into 4-LO as it is supposed to. Pressed again, 4-LO disengages as it should. Pressing the 4x4 High button does nothing. No relay noise, no transfer case action. Additionally, I am getting (10) flashes of the 4x4 HIGH lamp at (2) minutes intervals. Always 10. very consistent.

Item 2) Power Mirrors control hat switch does not move mirrors, it LOCKS doors! Any direction locks doors (does not unlock, just lock)... Switch in "off" position does not unlock doors or do anything.

Item 3) - just noticed - the steering wheel lock/interlock is no longer functioning.. key out and wheel will not lock. also, accessory key position is not possible.

Is this the GEM? Could I have fried a circuit or IC? Ive checked the 5A fuses and they all seem to be fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4x4 high range could be the shift motor on the trans. Not sure on that one.

The mirror switch sounds like a shorted wire in the drivers door loop. FIRST I've ever heard of that happening...

As for the ignition switch, sounds like it is time for a new one of those.

I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Unfortunately the pictures are no longer available in the above thread. IIRC, I believe I unwrapped the wires enough to gain access. When I have gone searching in there I had an idea of what wire I was looking for. I located the the wire I was looking for and gently tugged on that wire on the door side. The wire was pulled toward me and out of the harness. I then went inside the vehicle and gently tugged on the the wire I was looking for and was able to pull it inside the vehicle. I then spliced a length of wire to the 2 ends, completing the circuit. I then gently pulled the excess into the door.

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

As far as the 4x4 light flashing, mine turned out to be a bad ground on the transfer case motor.

Good luck getting it sorted. :D:thumbsup:

Good News!
I went poking around under the vehicle where the transfer case wiring harness runs into the solenoid motor... couldn't seem to find any ground wire... hmmm... looked some more... nothing visible.... unclipped the harness stay from the bracket and moved the harness aside a bit and... what's this? there, right in front of me, was the broken off ground wire! Who knew!? (apparently everybody but me)... Quick trip to the store to pick up ring connectors wire and shrink tube and in 30 minutes I had a nice new extended ground wire soldered up... picked a good ground bolt... tightened it down... key-in, 4x4 button pressed and bingo, problem solved!

Next I pulled the door panel, slightly annoying process, but nothing too difficult... all the connectors and harnesses at the switches looked fine... popped the door to body rubber boot off and into the door to expose the wires as they pass to the vehicle...and what do I see? (5) cleanly broken wires and one more ready to break at any moment. Unreal. These wires seemed as if they were snipped, but that would have been unlikely if not impossible. My theory is the sub-arctic winters up here in Maine freeze these fine wires to a glass-like hardness and then if/when they experience any bending they risk snapping like pretzels.

Well, it was tight quarters working with a soldering iron, flux and heat shrink, but I got the wires all taken care of, re-wrapped the bundle well with electrical tape and put everything back together. The Verdict? We now have power mirrors, locks work only with the lock switches, windows raise and lower much faster than before, and to our surprise we discovered that the cruise control buttons, pwr window buttons, 4x4 buttons and headlight switch illumination and glove box lights all work now! We didn't know what we were missing... and coolest of all, when you "lock out" the rear window controls, their respective control button lights turn off. How cool!

Only thing left to track down and fix is an intermittent ABS light (inconsistent, sometimes doesn't come on, sometimes does) and the steering wheel lock and ignition switch accessory position are non-existent.

Nicely done! :thumbsup:

I had the same problem after my Niece was playing in my truck and engaged the 4X4 Low.

My fix came from disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes.

When I started the truck back up the 4X4 low light was still on. I shifted to neutral and switched back up to Auto. and Viola no more groaning and she ran perfect.

Hope this helps!

Same issue here. Blinking 4x4 light, no 4 wheel drive. Checked fuses, and reset battery, no luck. Found short/stubby (black) ground wire directly above transfer case, near connector, just hanging. Had to reach around a bit to find it, it's very short in length. G2G after a quick n' easy fix. GL to all who have this prob, hopefully it's an easy fix instead of a $200 module. -Dave-

Only thing left to track down and fix is an intermittent ABS light (inconsistent, sometimes doesn't come on, sometimes does) and the steering wheel lock and ignition switch accessory position are non-existent.
This is a little late, hopefully you have solved the problem. If not, I had intermittent ABS light too. Finally pulled a code C1440 indicates an error with main pressure transducer located on the master brake cylinder inside the engine bay. Luckily, this switch/sensor is very cheap and very easy to replace. You need Ford part #3L3Z-9F924-AB Description: SWITCH 873966. See http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239295
for more details.

Luckily, this switch/sensor is very cheap and very easy to replace. You need Ford part #3L3Z-9F924-AB Description: SWITCH 873966. See http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239295
for more details.

I'm willing to bet this is the problem. But I called the local dealer and they quoted me $42.95 for the damned part. That was over the phone, I'm hoping they will give me the usual "good deal" if I go in and order it in person. They have the part on hand.

I'm willing to bet this is the problem. But I called the local dealer and they quoted me $42.95 for the damned part. That was over the phone, I'm hoping they will give me the usual "good deal" if I go in and order it in person. They have the part on hand.
Rockauto and Amazon also carry the part search for MOTORCRAFT SW6349. Probably $23-26 range.

Well, I went down to my Ford dealer yesterday. The guy I normally deal with was there (looking good so far)... I gave him the part number and description and said I was hoping he could do better than the list price quoted on the phone the day before ($42).

He brings the part up, looks me up in the system, and says well, list is, $42, wholesale is $34. I can give it to you for $30.

SOLD!

Gotta love it.

Good deal. Be sure to let us know how you make out. :thumbsup:

Good deal. Be sure to let us know how you make out. :thumbsup:

The switch on my 2003 explorer is literally right in front of the master cyl cap, facing UP. This switch could not be any easier to swap out. Literally a 1 minute swap.

It's 25 F. out and I had about 3 seconds to get the new switch on before the rather thick frozen brake fluid oozed up over the hole. I had a small amount of fluid get squished out around the threads when I tightened the switch into place, but no mess. Easy!

Test drive around the block, (all right turns, haha) no ABS light.
Granted this is about as limited a test drive as possible. but we'll see what the days ahead bring.

Well, 2 days and no ABS light. Not to jinx the fix, but it appears the switch solved the ABS light issue. Thanks to everyone for the heads up and observations!

Back