• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer engine swap issues

Frank8337

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford explorer 4.0
I need some major advice. I I'm doing an engine swap on a 2003 Ford Explorer. It has the 4.0 Vin K. I have the new 4.0 in the truck, now I'm having issues with closing the gap on the bellhousing and the block. There is about an 1.5" to 1.75" gap. I can get the bottom 2 bellhousing bolts in place, but at the top, the gap stays roughly the same. I have had nothing but problems with this swap. Any advice is welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stop! Do not proceed or damage will occur.

I assume you're dealing with an auto trans...? If so your problem may be that you have not fully seated the torque converter into the trans front pump far enough. When installing it on the trans you need to spin it around back and forth until you feel two distinct clunks.

As far as I know, all the 4.0 SOHC engine long blocks are interchangeable, so you should not have a problem mating the trans to the engine.

I second that. Pull that engine back out and line up the torque converter. if you don't you will end up pushing in the pump and you will need to purchase a new transmission as well.

Alright here is an update. I pulled the motor back out, I took care of the torque converter being to far forward. I've got the top 2 bellhousing bolts in place as well as 2 lower. Now the issue I am having is that the torque converter studs are not poking all the way through the flywheel. Thier lined up perfectly, but now the torque converter won't come forward enough to get a nut threaded on...

No dice on that. I attempted to move/slide the torque converter forward.I tried to shimmy, Shake and wiggle. It doesn't want to seem to slide any further than what I have it.

There is enough of the stud on the torque converter sticking through the flex plate that they both spin as 1. I just need the torque converter to move forward just a little more to catch a damn thread. I really hope I don't need to pull this motor again.

Back