• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Fuel Guage

BlackOut33

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hey Guys,

Hows it going?

Filled up my SUV this morning Octane 87 full all the way till pump clicked.

Turn the SUV on normally my fuel guage would read FULL once its full right?

It shows close to FULL but not on the FULL LINE

So in my mind I said let me TAP the guage from the window you look at on the cluster panel where it shows you all your GUAGES and KM all sort of JAZZ

I flicked it from the bottom and it READS FULL now

Turned the SUV over 3 times cycling it so GAS pressure goes to FUEL FILTER which I know fuel filter was replaced Back Nov 2011 when I changed the SPARK PLUGS & Coil Boots

Im just wondering what the heck the issue is?

Any ideas boys?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi. I had a problem like yours about a year ago. I have a 04 explorer. When I would fill it up it would go to maybe 3/4 full. I would then have to drive it for about 5 miles before it would go to full. I added techron to the fuel tank on two fills and nothing happened. So on the next fill I added MMO - Marvel Mystery Oil at the recommended amount to the tank. So on the next fill it indicated a full tank right away and I have not had a problem since. I would say give it a shot you only need a couple of ounces.

Hey there hows it going?

Thank you for the reply faberj

Im from Canada so im going to see if they sell Marvel Mystery OIL and give it a shot!

P.S. Is LUCAS Fuel Treatment any GOOD?
I have some of that?

BlackOut - watch out with the Lucas treatment. May be unrelated but I once had a corolla which had gotten a dose of Lucas in the tank on a regular basis. the car ran great even with a huge amount of miles on it (had 290,000 km when I sold it, still ran like a swiss watch) but the fuel gauge was horribly slow to register when I filled it for about 4 months after I bought it. I never used the Lucas again, and eventually the gauge indicated quickly when I filled it up. As I say, I don't know if the two are actually related, just my observations on my own car.

Back