• Register Today It's free!

2003 explorer limited

Laynpipe420

Reaction score
City, State
Brampton Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer limited
So I bot this over 2 months ago for my wife to drive ! The rear heat does not blow hot air at all. AC works great though but no heat ....also the front main heater only sorta works wen driving at idel it blows cold air again .I have noticed that Evan after the new thermostat the 4.6l won't get up to running temperature please help bc we are in Canada and it's below freezing every day

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, make sure there is no air in the system. Next check that the thermostat isn't stuck open. Also check the clutch fan.

I just replaced the thermostat it's brand new and the clutch fan seems to all wase bee spinning full blast ? After changing thermostat it's all most getting up to running temperature but still can't quite make it ...I found out yesterday rear heat doesn't work bc they have cut the lines and plugged them !!

First, make sure there is no air in the system. Next check that the thermostat isn't stuck open. Also check the clutch fan.
How do I check if there is air in the lines

How do I check if there is air in the lines
Search google for Burping a coolant system. It is simple... Are you sure your problem is not the actuator doors? I had a similiar problem with my 03. I ended up finding a rear broken actuator and antifreeze leaking from the rear heater core.

Good luck
bizzs

@Laynpipe420
It sounds as though you believe the fan clutch is operating the fan all the time? A seized bearing in the clutch will drive the fan continuously, even when no call for cooling is present. This, if present, will cause the thermostat to open only partially, then close abruptly, the cycle repeating.

Grasp the fan blade with your fingers and try rotating it. It should turn freely, with but little drag. Do this after the engine has been running until it gets as warm as it gets. If the blade is difficult, or impossible, to turn by hand, the clutch is "locked up", and needs to be replaced. imp

Back