2003 Explorer - Shift into gear issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer - Shift into gear issue

TTSaleen

Reaction score
City, State
Apex, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Recently my transmission was rebuilt.
However since getting the Explorer back, it is not consistent going into gear.
Example - When I pull the shift lever into Reverse, it may go into gear 4 out of 5 times.
But the 5th time, it wont' be in gear and revs like in neutral.
I then have to pull it down to Drive and push it back to Reverse for it to engage properly and move.

I've also had it feel in-between gears when shifting to Drive (4th) and to remedy I've had to pull it down to 3rd and push it back up to Drive.
Then it feels right and takes off and shifts properly.

I've crawled under it and adjusted the shift linkage a few times but I cannot get it resolved.
Again it will shift fine about 3 to 4 times out of 5.
It's more aggravating than anything.

Any suggestions or did the transmission shop do something wrong when they had it apart?
NOTE - It never had this issue prior to the rebuild.

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like something still wrong in the linkage. It may be possible that the linkage has some play in it because they may not have properly attached it. The linkage should attach to the transmission in 2 spots. One at the very end that goes to the actual shift lever on the side of the transmission. The other where the cable attaches and clips into a metal bracket on the side of the transmission. This has a plastic clip with little locking tabs that click to lock it onto the bracket. Make sure it is secured tightly at this point with no movement.

s-l400 (3).jpg s-l400.jpg s-l400 (2).jpg

Also, pull this piece off and make sure that the white part does not slide around inside the black part.

s-l400 (5).jpg s-l400 (4).jpg

Thanks for the tips.
I had adjusted my cable a few times but still had intermittent issues.
Turns out the Range Sensor was the problem.
I got a new one off Amazon (Price was under $30) compared to local O'reillys same part was over $65.

Thanks for the tips.
I had adjusted my cable a few times but still had intermittent issues.
Turns out the Range Sensor was the problem.
I got a new one off Amazon (Price was under $30) compared to local O'reillys same part was over $65.

Excellent. Learn something new every day! Glad you got it fixed.

Back