2003 Explorer Sport 129k keeps dying, but restarts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Sport 129k keeps dying, but restarts

Bluesideseattle

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003, Explorer Sport XLT
The problem started a few months ago where it initially it would just occasionally die with a low idle ( a bad day it may go out twice, very intermittent problem), but last I drove it I was driving 30+ when it would shut down after driving about 1 block. No codes thrown, cleaned throttle body, replaced all plugs, and 3 wires, replaced PCV and IAC valve. Couldn't identify any vacuum leaks. While that helped for a while and the idle was cleaner it suddenly got much worse. Still no codes. When I crank I can hear the fuel pump. Alternator replaced 3 years ago, i really don't think we have a charging issue. Bought the car new and honestly I've hardly had any trouble until now (I'll pretend that the drivers seat feel secure).
After the wonderful experience of going 5 blocks with it continually dying and restarting it, called a tow truck and it's been sitting in the driveway for the last week. It will certainly start still, but can no longer trust it. Power steering loss, almost impossible braking etc. a generally terrifying experience especially as I often have children in the car.
Really need to know where to look next if someone can help. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel filter replaced? Fuel pressure checked? Hate to say it, but these trucks are notorious for intermittent and failing fuel pumps, especially when it's cold outside. Also check the fuel pump shutoff (inertia) switch and connector by the passenger kick panel.

Just replaced it 2 years ago. Haven't checked the fuel pressure yet nor the inertia. As the problem is completely intermittent, wouldn't I expect the pressure to be fine until failure?

Back