2003 Explorer Sport FX4

2003 Ford Explorer Sport FX4

• Build the FX4 Explorer Sport

Votes: 163 95.3%
  • Do not build a FX4 Explorer Sport

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Namitey

The only way i could see offering a FX4 explorer would be id they offered that package on the 2dr or the sport trac.

Check the title of this thread. This wasn't about offering us a 4 door FX4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a question for all you off-roaders. What is wrong with Independent Rear Suspension? Is it too hard to put a lift kit on? In principle it should have an advantage, one in which I've seen first hand with lifted Wranglers. These things could climb over rocks like they were nothing while I was about to flip my X because of the straight axle. Granted, mine was stock so that isn't much of a comparison, but I was impressed with independent rear suspension.

Sorry, Wranglers have a solid rear axle not IRS. So you were really just impressed with a solid axle with coil springs and links.

I was under the impression they had IRS. These were highly modified, so they weren't stock. I could be wrong, but they made a point to suggest they had IRS when I almost flipped. I still could be wrong, because I don't really know much about suspension, I was just curious.

Back to the question, what's wrong with IRS? Sorry, I claim ignorance on suspensions, and I have an '02 with IRS that looks like it has better clearance than my '91. Are these hard to lift?

BTW, after looking at your pics all I can say is WOW. I think you would have no problem with the off road trip I did at "Slick Rock".

These questions seem to be more and more prevalent these days :rolleyes:

Solid axles are better for alot of reasons. Usually when you drive over on obstacle you don't drive down the middle of it and expose the center-line of your truck to damage. The objective is to park a tire on top of it and drive over it thereby exposing your truck to as little damage as possible. A solid axle is good when you do this for a couple of reasons. The suspension has enough travel in it to climb up and over big obstacles without bottoming out and compromising the stability of the truck. Another reason a solid axle is better is because when one tire is on an object it forces the other side of the axle down by way of leverage, thereby giving it greater traction.

I voted no because any package that comes out from Ford will be overpriced, not really offroad capable (they will use something that sounds good but not up to the task) and if something does break then you would have to go thru Ford to get replacement parts.

What Ford should do is promote websites like this as example of what people can do with their X's and encourage the aftermarket to get more involved. Also a V8 option for the sport would be nice and a manual transmission.

What about setting up a partnership for the X like Ford has with Saleen (Special Mustangs sold thru Ford dealers). Ford would be able to sell special X's without the need for any extra costs at the factory and the aftermarket companies would know how to build a good truck using mostly parts that are already on the market.

^^^^tried that, saleen explorer was way too $$$

Ford won't build it. There's not enough buyers for this model. The aftermarket can't even create a body kit for the current and older Xplorers. There's just not enough buyer who would go for this type... It's too extreme for a typical Explorer buyer.

WTF!

Point of Information...

The FX4 Ranger beat the Off Road Packaged - F-250, Dodge 1500, and Chevy 1500 in an off road stocker comparison. They said that truck was pretty amazing for stock. (Trying to remember which magazine it was...)

Originally posted by HokieBert
Point of Information...

The FX4 Ranger beat the Off Road Packaged - F-250, Dodge 1500, and Chevy 1500 in an off road stocker comparison. They said that truck was pretty amazing for stock. (Trying to remember which magazine it was...)

Probably Petersons 4wd and off road. they liked the ranger almost as much as the rubicon as far as offroadability.

Ranger FX4,
hehehehehehehehe,
I have the predecessor:D

Originally posted by 99exEB1
What others said, I want tow points, why does a Honda civic 93 style have them, but the ford Explorer does not??
Because they need it to get out of the snow and the mud.;)

Fx4 ranger level 2 thats what I'm talkin bout, maybe my next vehicle!

YES!!!!

Originally posted by Rick - All they would have needed to do is offer the same equipment as what they offer on the FX4 Ranger and it would have been a done deal. We would have benefited from a more capable Explorer and they would have benefited by offering a new product without having to retool ANYTHING.

DITTO, AMEN, YES, YES, YES!!!! :bounce:

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!! You're right on, Rick...I'm not going to get greedy, just offer the SAME package on the Explorer Sport, and I'm SO there! It just makes sense to me...like they really couldn't lose. If nothing else, they'd have a way to rejuvenate what the blow-hard automotive journalists might call an 'aging platform'. I also agree with the idea that an FX4 Explorer Sport could be marketed as a Bronco...truth be told, I don't care what they call it, I'D BUY IT!

How have Ranger FX4 sales looked so far? I would think that would play big-time into any decision to even look into the possibility of an Explorer Sport FX4. You'd think they'd at least outfit a prototype and take it out to one of your Explorer events to help gauge interest and gather ideas...isn't that what they did one way or another with the Ranger?

Being a lifelong Bronco guy, this one is near & dear to my heart, so I'm more than willing to help pummel Ford with requests and interest. Anyone have any pertinent contact info, and/or willing to help lead a charge on this? Rick, maybe you could place posts elsewhere directing folks to this poll like you did with the Torsen one...?

BUILD IT...AND WE WILL BUY!! :thumbsup:

I voted build it. I know for a fact that the sales for Ranger FX4s are pretty good. I see them all the time around my house. (im gonna steal one one of these days) heh. anyway, even though i just bought a 99 Ranger, i think that the explorer FX4 is a great idea. If i get rid of this ranger and an Ex like that is out id probably get it. This would be a risk for Ford but i mean its not like they dont have the money or the R&D to figure it out. But i dunno, i havent heard anything about one yet and i doubt i will for a while so we will see what happens in the next couple of years. Oh, and i would like it to have a 31" at or mt tire and nice 16X8 wheels, lift to accomidate these wheels and tires, front and rear tow hooks, skid plates under all of the essentials, not jsut the gas tank, maybe some rocker protection,(this may be asking too much) build it and people will come. thats my $.02

Back