2003 Explorer Sport Steering Wheel Replacement w/ OEM **CAN YOU HELP** | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Sport Steering Wheel Replacement w/ OEM **CAN YOU HELP**

enjoip8nt

Reaction score
City, State
VENTURA, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLS
I'm kinda pissed that my car is beautiful and my steering wheel looks like it was used to fight off a crocodile, but that's why I bought a replacement.

I am most worried about the airbag going off in my face, if I disconnect the battery is it safe to work with?

Also, after I reconnect the wires to the airbag is it safe to turn back on and operate if it need to?

Basically I want to know everything YOU know about the airbag when replacing a steering wheel!

Please help me! I can't stand this crappy looking steering wheel!!

Much appreciated,

:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys, I did it! The only issue was that the airbag did go off, but I had on eye protection! The only damage was from my head slamming into the roof of the car and causing a huge bulge on the outside... pics coming soon

If that's true, that's the first time I've ever heard of an airbag actually going off during removal!

how long was the battery disconnected before you started working on it? If it less than 20-30 minutes than thats why

that would be the first time ive ever heard of an air bag going off during removal.....you had to have shorted something to make it go off...or tripped the crash sensor. seriously....they dont just go off cause you plugged it in.

Back