2003 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L intermitten start issues help.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L intermitten start issues help..

Felix C

Reaction score
City, State
SF, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport XLS
Little help please.

Is there a known fault with these vehicles/drivetrain at about 80xxx miles?

First started at 78000miles. Took the vehicle to a local shop. No faults. Did tune-up,injection cleaner, etc. Then again at 86K and now at 86K happened last Friday. Truck had been driven and it was hot out. After 45minutes the engine started up.

Local shop indicates 90% chance it is the fuel pump but did not do a diagnostic.

Another shop said they will examine the vehicle. What is involved in troubleshooting the fuel pump? Current/voltage test? line pressure? etc.

The problem is intermittent so times it is fine. Possible to track down while the vehicle is operational or do I have to wait until it dies?

Also, labor on these is 3 or 6 hours. I called two shops and received different estimates. I notice Motorcraft pump is $440 or so and but Airtex $160 to $225 depending on the source Parts Geek, O'Reillys. Is the Motorcraft that much more reliable or just paying for the brand?

Pardon all the questions but this came at a very bad time.

not sure if the 03's have a fuel pump driver module but it could be that going out mine did

Thanks but I do not know. I have since found a Ford dealership that will do a proper and full diagnostic for a reasonable price. Will advise the result here.

Amazing how shops overcharge when they see one is in difficulties.(Especially over the weekend.) Do not folks know fair price is the best manner to have a customer for the long term?

Back