2003 Explorer:Ticking sound at start up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer:Ticking sound at start up?

Steven's 72

Reaction score
City, State
Central, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 V8
Hey Guys and Gals,

I own a 2003 Ford Explorer v8, has about 123,000 miles on the odometer. every now and then when I start it in the morning, there is a ticking sound, when the motor warms up it stops. During the ticking sound if I accelerate the ticking picks up in speed with the engine.

what can this be?

Thanks in Advance guys, Steven Rod.

I have the same thing too but i don't really hear much of the ticking once the engine gets warmed up. I believe it is the lifters that collapsed. or i think it could be a exhaust manifold leaks. Im going to hear towards the collapsed lifter.

For the collapsed lifter(s):

Some have claimed to have fixed the problem with an oil changed(good quality oil) and an anti-drainback oil filter

and/ or with engine cleaning additive.

you will usually have to replace lifters by the set if you do end of fixing it some people also recommend change the cam as well.

if you are mechanically inclined(unlike myself) I believe you will can probably knock out this problem yourself...it not I heard it can be very costly..not sure.

I just get used to the noise...some say it can cause more problems if not fixed and some say it won't<<Not sure

Maybe someone with more insight can give us some more information regarding this problem.

Wow, I hope it's not a lifter. I am good with old school chevy motors, never messed with a ford motor. The ticking sound is on the driver side.

Back