2003 Explorer Transmission Problem AFTER replacing solenoid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Transmission Problem AFTER replacing solenoid

Joespendo

Reaction score
City, State
Klamath Falls, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
My vehicle is in the shop as I write this. The shop has been in business for decades, so I believe they know their craft. They replaced the solenoid pack and took my vehicle for a test drive, discovered a leak, but no other issues.

After fixing the leak, they took another test drive, where the O/D light began blinking, the vehicle wouldn't shift properly, and the engine began running rough.

Tried to capture the codes, and with two different devices, he could not communicate with the vehicles computer.

Disconnected the battery to reboot computer, took on another test drive, same result.

The mechanic is stumped, and I am without my vehicle.

Could it be the wrong solenoid messing up the vehicles computer? The mechanic thinks they may have caused a short in the wiring somewhere, not easily found or identifiable.

I sure could use some expert advice on how to proceed.

Why did they replace the solenoid pack in the first place?

I would install the old solenoid back on or replace it again with a different one, check all the connections as they are know for poor connections and corrosion.

Check the power and grounds to the PCM, and try creating a code like disconnecting a speed sensor or something easy and see if it can be read through the computer.

Back