2003 explorer transmission will not engage. Goes in and out of park no problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 explorer transmission will not engage. Goes in and out of park no problem.

mk2253

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
Transmission made no bad noises. Just one day, I went out and it would no go. Shifts easily to any gear but does not engage. I added a little fluid and it went one time, but now I think that was a fluke. I checked and replaced the fluid and filter and even the solenoid pack in the transmission. Fuses are fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transmission made no bad noises. Just one day, I went out and it would no go. Shifts easily to any gear but does not engage. I added a little fluid and it went one time, but now I think that was a fluke. I checked and replaced the fluid and filter and even the solenoid pack in the transmission. Fuses are fine.

So if you're not in park it acts like it's in neutral? Your parking paw is fine but everything else doesn't grab?

Had mine rebuilt this year. Would only work if I put it in first gear. Drive was like neutral. My OD module was seized. 185,000 miles. Cost $1800 with 2 year warranty.

So if you're not in park it acts like it's in neutral? Your parking paw is fine but everything else doesn't grab?
Yes. It still holds the car in park, but nothing else engages. Every gear is like neutral.

Yes. It still holds the car in park, but nothing else engages. Every gear is like neutral.
I was wondering if there is another solenoid in the steering column that would cause these symptoms. I hesitate after spending the time and money to replace the one in the transmission.

Have you tried engaging 4low if it is a 4x4? Could be transfer case. Transmissions will fail with no noise or symptoms just like a light bulb fails.
What did the fluid look and smell like when you dropped the pan?

Have you tried engaging 4low if it is a 4x4? Could be transfer case. Transmissions will fail with no noise or symptoms just like a light bulb fails.
What did the fluid look and smell like when you dropped the pan?
Will not move in 4x4 low either. Now that light stays on. Will not move back to auto. The fluid looked and smelled okay.

You are going to find internal problems with transmission. The 4low will not unlock until vehicle moves a small distance. The transmission will still move in 3rd gear with no electrical input.

You are going to find internal problems with transmission. The 4low will not unlock until vehicle moves a small distance. The transmission will still move in 3rd gear with no electrical input.
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I want to tackle the replacement. My usual mechanic says $2200 for salvage, $3200 for rebuilt. Probably the death knell.

Find a new mechanic. A salvage trans will only cost him around $400 and a few hours labor. A reman (or to get your's rebuilt) typically runs around $2000.

Find a new mechanic. A salvage trans will only cost him around $400 and a few hours labor. A reman (or to get your's rebuilt) typically runs around $2000.
Thanks.

That's crazy expensive!

03 Exploder XLS 4X4. Doing A1JE servo repair. Had a broken intermediate servo shaft, which wound up getting pushed through the bore and ending up on top of the band (it has been removed). With the servo removed, then the valve body, I discovered the intermediate band strut was gone. Not in the pan, nowhere to be found. I am able to rotate the band 360 degrees, so I assume the servo side strut has become dislodged. The band does not appear to be broken. I know the adjustment side band strut can be replaced without dropping the trans. My question and dilemma: What about the servo side strut? Also, I cannot get the overdrive servo cover off. It does move a little when compressed, but will not pop out far enough to get any type of tool to grab it. Any advice or help on the initial issue would be greatly appreciated. Trying my best not having to drop the tranny. Truck in really good shape, 155000 miles, except the tranny.

You will have to drop transmission to repair. Never get the strut and band to align on servo side.

I am not advertising for this company, but this video helps a lot. I am getting my tools and parts ready.

- Transmission Fix - Gaskets, Seals and Fluid
- Front Axle Repair -
- Oil Change
- Sway Bar -
- Haynes Repair Book
- Tools from Harbor Freight

Time and Never say quit attitude.

I have calculated $470.60 (But $231.00 is in tools and who does not love tools.

Back