• Register Today It's free!

2003 explorer won’t start

Frijoleo

Reaction score
City, State
Rowlett
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer xlt
I was at a friends house and I do have a viper self start so as I was leaving I pressed it so it would be warm when I got in. I walk out and I see it’s not off but it’s trying to start. I figure it’s the battery so I try jumping it but nothing. I tried banging the starter and still nothing so I leave it over night. In the morning I take the battery to firestone and it tests fine. I recently replaced the alternator not even half a year ago so I know it’s not that. When I turn the key all my lights work and radio as well but when I try to completely turn the car on I can hear the clicking under the hood and when I take the key out the lights go off and I hear clicking under my dash and the anti theft red light is blinking. Could it be my aftermarket alarm messing with the factory one? Side note when I had the aftermarket one installed I didn’t have a spare key so the guy took the chip off my key to put it in the module. I’ve tried unplugging the aftermarket module but still doesn’t start unless there’s another module I’m missing. I’ve also tried turning the key shifting it to drive and back to park but it still won’t start. And each time I try to start it and take the key out it does the clicking and no dash lights come on so I have to disconnect the battery and reconnect them for them to come back on but as soon as I turn the key all the way the same thing happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried running a jumper directly from the battery to the starter solnoid (the small terminal)? If that does not turn it over then your starter is bad.

Same thing happened to me. It was the PATS. I had no idea my 04 had an aftermarket alarm & remote start on it because it wasn't working when I purchased it. I found the aftermarket alarm & took it out hoping that would solve it, but no. I finally found a key that had been tucked away & hidden up close to the ignition. The black electrical tape was starting to unravel just a bit & I caught a glimpse of the key. (After a long 2 months of trying everything I researched). I had the key cut & she started right up. If you can get that chip close enough to the ignition, or back into your key if that's even a possibility, it would hopefully work. If you search for ways to bypass the Ford PATS, there are lots of videos that show where the chipped key would have to be positioned in order for that to work. Also, there are videos that show how to determine if its for sure your PATS that is causing the no start. I don't remember how, but I believe it involves cycling your key a certain way & that will make the PATS indicator light flash in specific patterns. I hope I didn't confuse you more & that this info will help.

Same thing happened to me. It was the PATS. I had no idea my 04 had an aftermarket alarm & remote start on it because it wasn't working when I purchased it. I found the aftermarket alarm & took it out hoping that would solve it, but no. I finally found a key that had been tucked away & hidden up close to the ignition. The black electrical tape was starting to unravel just a bit & I caught a glimpse of the key. (After a long 2 months of trying everything I researched). I had the key cut & she started right up. If you can get that chip close enough to the ignition, or back into your key if that's even a possibility, it would hopefully work. If you search for ways to bypass the Ford PATS, there are lots of videos that show where the chipped key would have to be positioned in order for that to work. Also, there are videos that show how to determine if its for sure your PATS that is causing the no start. I don't remember how, but I believe it involves cycling your key a certain way & that will make the PATS indicator light flash in specific patterns. I hope I didn't confuse you more & that this info will help.

Prime example of why PATS should never be bypassed like that to install a remote start. If one wants remote start add it properly by getting a DEI remote start system with a PATS key emulator module.

Directed - Car Alarms | Remote Starters | SmartStart | Vehicle Telematics

Back