2003 Explorer XLT - major engine issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer XLT - major engine issue

Cavanaugh82

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
I am intermediate level mechanic trying to do an advanced project, the cost of having it done professionally is more than the vehicle is worth so, what do I have to lose?

The mileage on the vehicle is about 85K and it has the 4.0L V6 Flex-fuel, automatic transmission, 2-wheel drive.

While under moderate acceleration and a speed of about 40 mph I heard (and felt) a very strong thud/bang from under the engine and then continuous thunk-thunk-thunk until I was able to pull the vehicle over to the side of the road. I had it towed home. When I tried to remove the oil dipstick it got lodged after about 4" were removed and won't move in either direction now.

I am in the process of disassembling the engine to remove it and then either attempt to repair/rebuild/replace it.

When I dropped the oil pan there was a lot of shrapnel in the pan and a 2" section of a sheared off T-bolt with KX1-920 engraved in the top of it.

When I looked at the upper oil pan there was a 2" diameter hole behind the starter and multiple holes in the upper oil pan, probably the source of the shrapnel.

I just removed the upper intake manifold and stuffed into cavity was an object that looked like a 4 inch thick jigsaw puzzle piece that essentially is a plastic bag with a sponge inside.

When I removed it from the cavity there is a pool of clearish liquid on the bottom with a lot of greenish white crystalline material around the sides of the cavity.

All of the tubes in the intake manifold are heavily carbonized with the exception of #6 (I believe, back driver side) which actually appear to be pretty clean.

I have photos of all of the items that I described but I have not figured out yet how to add photos to my post, this is my first one.

AT this point, I am asking for any guidance on what happened to this engine and what are the chances of repair/rebuild/replace?

Thanks.

view

view

Wow, that looks like bearing in the oil pan. You put a rod through the side of that block. Well done. as for the antifreeze in the insulation, my guess is the thermostat housing was pooched as well. I would be shopping for an engine. Luckily you have tons of sources for a 4.0l SOHC.

I was afraid that might be the diagnosis. The truck was not run hard at all, oil and filter changes performed punctually, and only 85K miles seems too soon for that kind of catastrophic failure. Curious about the antifreeze in the valley, have not had any issues with coolant level needing to be maintained but I guess it does not take that much. Any explanation for the lack of carbonization in #6 and if that could be indicative of the cause of the failure (if that is the rod that broke).

Since you replied to my post I had to check out your Sport Trac saga and it, along with the extensive complaint research on this truck I am not sure I want to invest more in this truck. I had a '95 Explorer that was very good to me until I sold it but my wife's 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan has been nothing but headaches and it also has <90K miles. Remanufactured engines are going to be US$1700-$2500 plus all the additional ancillary costs. Local salvage yard engines are US$900-1200 but I have no idea what I am getting into with them, how well they were maintained etc.

After this happened, I went out and bought a 2003 Nissan Frontier with 120K miles and it has been very reliable and easy to work on. I have had a Maxima that had 250K miles before the engine mounts rusted out beyond repair. Based on my very small sample size I don't think I will buy another 'American' vehicle again.

Back