2003 Explorer xlt towing a camper. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer xlt towing a camper.

I own a 2003 explorer xlt with the v8 and towing package. I will be towing a 3500 pound camper and 125 pound tongue weight. Do I need to upgrade the rear springs to tow this and where is the connector for the electric brake harness? Thanks for the help.

I own a 2003 explorer xlt with the v8 and towing package. I will be towing a 3500 pound camper and 125 pound tongue weight. Do I need to upgrade the rear springs to tow this and where is the connector for the electric brake harness? Thanks for the help.

The tongue weight should be 12 to 15% of the trailer, 125 lbs is very light, and could cause some scary sway. My trailer is ~4500 lbs. and has 500 lbs. tongue weight. Your numbers seem off, I'd look into that.

Your springs should be fine, the electric brake connector was tied up on the top left side of my glove box cavity, I had to drop down the glove box, and remove the factory tape holding it to another harness.

Back