2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC V6

Schist61

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I bought a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC V6 in January 2014 with approximately 120,000 miles current on it. I've had no major issues besides the Mass Airflow sensor and a small vacuum leak, I am working to make these repairs. My question now is: Now that it is colder (-10 to 30 F) consistantly, I have been hearing a loud, fast ticking sound when I first start the engine for the day also when acccelerating and RPMs are higher than 2500. Once the RPMs are lower the sound stops. Someone told me it may be from the timing chain, but from experience this is more of a ticking noise rather than a rattle I've heard from a timing chain. Any help is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use a stethoscope to identify the source of the noise.

Oh yea, you'll notice if it's a timing chain rattle or a lifter tick of some sort. Once the engine has warmed up does it continue to do it? I'd be interested to know what type of oil is in the motor, whether it's too heavy for temperatures like you're seeing.

Once the engine is warmed up or even turned on for a few minutes the sound stops, except for when I am accelerating. Such as, from a stop sign/ light or from a slower speed to a higher speed. Once the vehicle shifts or I stop accelerating it stops again. Also, the dealership has been putting in 5w-30 when I get my oil changed. Thank you all for the replies.

Back