2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L 6 Cyl front end noise! HELP PLEASE!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L 6 Cyl front end noise! HELP PLEASE!!!!

michigan jason

Reaction score
City, State
Metro Detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Fusion '03 Navigator
Ok, I have read many other threads on here and little bits of each of them seem to pertain to my problem. I am starting a new one because I have done many of the things mentioned across many threads already here.

Please help me fellas, I am at wits end!

I have a 2003 ford explorer 4.0l v6 4x4. Since we bought it, the rear end had the famous ford howl that all explorers have (it seems like) Mechanic said it was a recall blah blah, never addressed it, and it is still there.

Recently I noticed more and more noise and realized that the front end is making noises as well. Rubbing, howling, grinding etc. Took that car to midas, they said I needed the following. Also recommended brakes. We had them complete all of the work BTW. So all of the following is new.

Both front drivers and passenger side wheel bearing/hub assembly
Upper and lower ball joints (front both sides)
Sway bar links (both sides) (old ones were simply hanging there)
Front brakes, (new ceramic pads and rotors both sides)

(Mechanic said the bearing going into the transfer case was fine)
(Mechanic also stated he disconnected the 4x4 and the problem was still the same)

Long story short, the noise is still there and we are lost. The mechanic actually ate the cost for the passenger wheel bearing just trying to figure out the problem for us.

To attempt to describe the noise, it seems to be present as soon as the vehicle is moving, gets more violent (loud) when cranking the wheel either left or right.

Mechanic says he is pretty sure it is the differential but honestly he seems as lost as we are.

Please someone chime in and shed some light on this dark situation!

KCCO

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you record and post the sound?

Can you record and post the sound?

I will try, not sure how well the phone would pick it up. I also noticed that the front driver side brakes are working harder than the passenger side. The rotor drivers side rotor was 200* after the test drive, and the passenger was 140*, not sure if that means anything, but the noise is also louder when the wheel is turned left than right.

Sound doesn't really come through on my video, I will try another one soon. Mean time, any other ideas anyone?

Thanks for all the help guys, here is an update incase you were waiting for one.

Took the truck to a friend of the family who is a ford diesel tech and upon removing the bearing, he instantly said WTF, he said that the half shaft had been cut and was asking why, saying he had never seen it before.

Took it back to the tech that had completed all the previous work and he said he had to put heat to it to remove the upper ball joints or something along that line and said he already put a new half shaft in and the same problem existed, so I in turn put the older "cut one" back in. Said he GUARANTEES this is not the problem, but will gladly install a brand new one. So now on WEDNESDAY it goes back to get the half shaft installed.

Any other help is appreciate.

Back