2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 overheating at idle with AC on??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 overheating at idle with AC on???

Israel Palomar

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer, V6
Needing a different angle on this issue. I’ve replaced everything but the heater core and the two heater lines on this cooling system. Back information is the radiator just went out a month ago. And the entire system was never flushed or maintained since I got my hands on it. Radiator was full of sand and cinnamon looking debri when I drained the system. First it was Termostat, then T coupling, finally radiator. I put in a new water pump when installing the new radiator and all new hoses since the old ones had the baked on sand inside all of the hoses. No matter the scrub, it wouldn’t come off. After install I did a hard system flush with new hoses and reservoir tank and a new thermostat housing. The fan is perfect. No cracks or missing blades and the entire system is sealed. Any ideas on what this could be? I’ve replaced everything but the heater core like I said. I filled the system with antifreeze before I put the thermostat in so the system wouldn’t have any air in it then as I put everything together I filled it up as I went along. Fluid level is great. Don’t understand why it gets hot when idling.

Idling hot is usually and airflow problem through the radiator. Also, what is "hot"? As in what is the actual temperature?
Most newer cars are going to idle in gear with a/c on around 210 degrees F. If your holding pressure (16) lbs? 220 is not unheard of, some fans dont even come on "high" until 228..

Your thermostat could be bad. Also.use the correct one. Modern engines are designed to run hotter. If you use a cooler thermostat, you engine will run rich. Don't ask how I know.

Back