2003 Ford Explorer need repair info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Explorer need repair info

Elisee220

Reaction score
City, State
Wellington, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
hi im new to this forum this will be my first post my 03 ford explorer awd suddenly started making loud clanging noises from the axle when driving gets worse when i try to turn the wheel it happened while driving the car it started smoking and the smell of burning rubber emitted from under the hood a loud thud was heard and what i believe is gear oil or some kind of oil spewed out and the loud clanging/grinding noise was heard a mechanic looked at it and asked 800 to do the job i dont have that so im planning to do it myself please help anyway possible by identifying the problem and part that is leaking as the mechanic failed to tell me anything and if you could also help me find a thread for an 03 repar manual i heard this site had quite a few but couldnt really find them thank you very much in advanced for your time.

By no means am I a mechanic, but sounds like some major trouble with your front differential. Whether it started there or with an axel. The $800 is probably your best bet. Maybe get another quote elsewhere. The work involved will more than likely cost you more in time and possibly money as you won't have all the required tools. Or, go to a wrecking yard and see if you can get a used front diff.

By no means am I a mechanic, but sounds like some major trouble with your front differential. Whether it started there or with an axel. The $800 is probably your best bet. Maybe get another quote elsewhere. The work involved will more than likely cost you more in time and possibly money as you won't have all the required tools. Or, go to a wrecking yard and see if you can get a used front diff.

Thanks for the response and ok I think I have to weight my options

Back