2003 ford explorer sport xlt 4.0L.......what next? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 ford explorer sport xlt 4.0L.......what next?

niCo tHe cEo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.0 explorer sport xlt
I got a 03 4.0L sport.
Magnaflow cat back.
K&N air intake kit.
What other performance mods will benefit my current set up?
Money is a little light but would be willing to spend if it contributes to the cars longevity.
Thanx for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Basics

You're actually asking two very different questions here:

1) What can I do to increase my truck's performance

2) What can I do to increase the life of my truck

Usually, these work in opposing directions. For better economy and performance, you'll want to let the truck 'breath' better' with bigger air in and out.

Make sure all 4 tires are at the appropriate pressure.

Use a quality fuel injector cleaner once and a while

Get your fluids and filters changed when your supposed to. Check owner's guide. You'd be surprised at how often the mechanical engineers think you should change diff and tranny fluid.

Do your plugs once a year and get a good quality battery.

Get some jackstands; spend some quality time under your truck (and poking around under your hood for that matter). Look around, inspect and LEARN about how it works. It sounds cheesy, but knowledge is your best weapon for maintenance, repairs and longevity.

welcome nico u got pics of ur sport.

here r pics of my sport they are old though i need to get new ones up eventually but here is link.

www.cardomain.com/id/sams01xplrsprt

Yea I know thanx bulk I just recently serviced the tranny at 60k and have periodically changed the fluids and oil. what size of tires get the best mpg? I heard upgrading to the big 22's get you worse mpg

nico did u see pics of my sport

That's actually a good question. some people think that bigger wheels and tires allow you to move farther for the same amount of energy (fuel).

Other people think that by putting on a larger, heavier wheel, it causes the engine, drivetrain and differential to do more work than they were designed to do, thus costing more fuel.

I think it's probably a combination of both. If you try and keep your 22's as light as possible, you could actually see some positive results.

The only difference now would be that the brakes would have to handle greater centrifugal forces of a larger diameter wheel, and might need to be upsized as well.

I'd just throw them on and try it!

As far as tire size goes, What you really want to do for maximum MPG is to lower the rolling resistance as much as possible, so you want the lowest moment of inertia possible, which in theory would be the smallest rim possible and the lightest, hardest (high psi) tire combo. The tire size (diameter) is more related to what gearing is in the truck, because it will affect what rpm the engine is running at going down the road, and how much the engine will have to work to accelerate.

Right on guys thanx for all the information! I feel like im taking a college class about the new car I just bought: explorer101. I appreciate all your guys' help. Oh yea SAM i seen your explorer I like the dual flows but I dont like that shirt you got on! Raiders are HORRIBLE!! 49er Faithful ALL DAY

All true, but the smaller the wheel, the less distance it travels.

Let's say that 1 gallon of gas will provide 32,000 revolutions of your 30" diameter wheel & tire at a circumference of roughly 94.20 inches and a weight of 50 lbs.

If you can get something with a greater circumference but at the same weight, you should see the distance improve with the same amount of fuel.
However, with the greater circumference comes the bigger brakes.

If you get something heavier, you can expect to use more fuel to perform the revolutions, decreasing your MPG.

If you get something smaller and lighter, you can expect to get more revolutions out of that gallon of gas, but the smaller circumference should counteract that and you might just break even.

If you get something larger and heavier, you'll use more gas performing the revolution, but have larger circumference, and again, might just break even.

Whatever you do, find a good medium for the PSI in the tires; the harder they are, the less friction there is, but the less traction you get when it's wet. It's all a big comprimise :)

If you want to really get serious about your engine's longevity, I suggest investing into a Amsoil bypass oil filtration system. It filters the oil down to the 2-3 micron level.

nico where u from i am from southern cali. But my family and most of my friends and also my gf they live in bay area california which is in northern cali.

Majortity of my family and friends are san francisco 49er fans and my gf she is a dallas cowboys fan. And me and my 3 cousins we are the only raider fans.

Anyways my friends and family and gf live in like san jose and los gatos and morgan hill and san carlos area. Are you from cali too or what.

Also do u got aim or yahoo messanger i got both of them.

where in the bay do u got aim or yahoo

Back