2003 Ford Explorer XLT (V8) Catalytic Converters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Explorer XLT (V8) Catalytic Converters

Triple Lindy

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT V8
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT (V8-4.6L) in storage at my fathers. He drives it occasionally. The next time I am home, in about less than a month, I need to change out the catalytic converters. Dealer quoted $1700, but we have access to a lift, so we can do it ourselves. However, the assemblies I have been searching to buy have three (3) catalytic converters - one off of each header that 'Y' together into a single straight run and a 3rd catalytic converter. However, the dealer told my father my Explorer has four (4) catalytic converters. Which is correct?

Three catalytic converters. You may want to do some troubleshooting to make sure they are correct in the issue, especially if they cannot even quote the right number of parts to you. Also, if they are bad, you should determine what fouled them and address that first; otherwise you will end up with another set of bad catalytic converters. It is probably only one or two of them are bad, if they are bad.

Back