2003 Harmonic Balancer Dust Shield | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Harmonic Balancer Dust Shield

bzickefo

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Solon VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer xlt
I am rebuilding a 2003 4 liter motor. Using Cloyes timing chain kit to fix rattle. When I took my harmonic balancer off, it is OK but the plastic dust shield on it was cracked. I was wondering if any of you with a bad harmonic balancer would give up its old dust shield. I can't seem to locate a new one separately from the balancer

Waking this thread up for sure.

I'm kind of having the same issue as far as trying to locate one of the crank pulley or harmonic dampener plastic dust shields on the interweb. I could find a differential pinion dust cover no problem, which is essentially the same thing with different dimensions. But it looks like in order to get one of these crank pulley dust Shields you'll have to buy a new crank pulley. Hopefully I'm wrong about having to buy a new crank pulley just to get the dust shield. Anybody got a part number?

I am rebuilding a 2003 4 liter motor. Using Cloyes timing chain kit to fix rattle. When I took my harmonic balancer off, it is OK but the plastic dust shield on it was cracked. I was wondering if any of you with a bad harmonic balancer would give up its old dust shield. I can't seem to locate a new one separately from the balancer
Oh and by the way when it comes to all aspects of the timing chain drive system for the 4.0 sohc there is no substitute for official Ford replacement parts for the timing drive. Trust me I've done extensive research on this. I really wish there was a performance timing drive kit for the 4.0 or one that's better than the Ford kit but I haven't seen it. I've seen threads that clearly illustrate the Superior quality construction of Ford timing drive components for this motor compared to aftermarket timing drive kits. If you had a Ford kit and an aftermarket kit right next to each other and you were holding each piece up to each other like the chain guides you would definitely be able to see that the aftermarket kit has slight differences no matter how OEM they say it is lol.

pretty sure that plastic shield is still obtainable via ford. purchased one from dealer a couple years ago for my '94. Took a while to find a parts diagram that had the part# on it though. don't think it had a 6XXX / engine part number like expected , think it was a 4xxx driveline/axle number.Think Ford packaging can list these as a deflector, shield, slinger, or cover.

Back