• Register Today It's free!

2003 Mountaineer tire noise

reansor

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 2003 Moutaineer 4.6L AWD with Goodyear Fontera HL tires. The tires are wearing well and the suspension components seem to be in good condition. I also had an alignment about 1000 miles ago for good measure. My issue is, at low speed--under 20mph--I hear a whirring tire noise that sounds almost like noisy snow tires. The sound disappears at higher speeds, and there is no noise or vibration even at very high speed.

The noise in getting somewhat louder at all speeds, and is more pronounced when I turn at a modest speed. I jacked it up and couldn't find anything obviously loose. Wheel bearing?? Please help!

Okay, I changed the hub in question, but that still didn't kill the noise. I know that all the other front end components are tight, so I'm just writing it off as rotor noise until/unless it gets worse. I don't have any vibration or looseness in the steering at high speed so.....?

Any update on the noise? Bearing noise can be hard to pinpoint to a specific wheel.

Differential bearing(s) might be going out. Common problem. Do you hear it when you let off the gas?

It's hard to pinpoint.

Get someone to drive the truck around while you ride in the rear cargo area.

Back