• Register Today It's free!

2003 mountaineer tranny issues

-RYknow

Reaction score
City, State
Claremont, nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey guys. Hoping someone could answer a few questions for me.

Our family is growing (baby dues in about 25 days) so we decided to upgrade to something with third row seating. We found a 2003 mountaineer premier with the 4.6 and awd. It was a fair price and everything seemed good. Recently the o/d light started flashing and the info center in the dash says check transmission. Google tells me this is a common occurrence with these rigs. It's gone into reverse hard a few times (revs climb, then it finally slams into reverse) as well.

A couple buddies and I are planning to pull the tranny and replace it. I'm hoping to pick up a used tranny with some kind of warranty and then do the swap. I'm just wondering which tranny I need. It appears it should be a 5r55s or 5r55w. Is there any difference between these tranny's? Will both work with the 4.6?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to get this project done before our new baby girl is born.

Thanks in advanced,

-RYknow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it might be well worth it to get the trouble codes, one of the common failures are the servo pistons cracking. These can be replaced without pulling the trans if lucky.

Another common problem is the transmission solenoid pack another item you might be able to do while the transmission is installed.

Although when mine first blew it was in a big way and had to be completely rebuilt. It had a lifetime warranty so when it did it again 50k later, they only replaced the piston, rest of the trans was in good shape.

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies. We brought the rig to the ford dealership here in town, I was complaining of the metallic like grinding noise when it's running (just realized I forgot to mention that in my first post), and I told them I thought maybe it was the torque converter. They down played it and told me not to think worst case scenario and let them take a look at it. So that's what we did. They took it for a test drive and claimed they didn't think it was anything serious and to just do a transmission flush. When they told me a transmission flush was going to cost $465 I decided to look elsewhere. I took it to another shop for a synthetic tranny flush and for some reason they weren't able to do it. They told me the machine wasn't getting enough pressure to do the flush. So I'm wondering if the pump inside the tranny is going?

Also, at the ford dealership, I asked them to tell me whatever codes they came up with...they claim they didn't get any. Seems to me they probably didn't even hook the computer up. I asked for them to get the codes when we dropped it off, so they know I was going to ask. Sadly they took the rig for a test drive, told us to do a tranny flush, and charged us $90 for an hour worth of labor, and didn't even give us the codes like I asked. I'm not impressed with the dealership.

So, I guess now that I've given a few more details, maybe you guys will have a suggestion on the next route to take. Like I said, there is a strange metallic sound, almost grinding from where the tranny meets the engine, it goes into reverse real hard from time to time, and the o/do light flashes and it tells us to check transmission.

Here is a video clip from YouTube that someone posted. It sounds exactly like our rig sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agIvQbcIqgw

-RYknow

I tend to agree with the comments that others had posted on the youtube video about the torque converter failing. I did have a flex plate on a 4 cyl chrysler that cracked around the crank shaft bolts that sounded very much like the video. Either way you should get it repaired as soon as possible. and you are going to have to pull the transmission. If it is the torque converter then it has mist likely poluted the tranny fluid with all kinds of debris.

I was pretty convinced it was the torque converter, would that cause the shift issues into reverse?

I've looked into getting a torque converter, but I don't know what I need. If someone could tell me which torque converter (rpms? Splines? Shaft diameter), that would be great!

-RYknow

Back